Why are so many black women overweight or obese?

While most Americans, period, are at least overweight, I read that a larger segment of this population is African-American women. Why???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• To be honest with you, this it not true where I live. But then again, not too many people are over weight in Southern California period.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Hmm, I wonder how true this is? I mean about African women. I see so many fat people. I see so many white fat people. I don't think as a whole it is that any race over any other race is over weight it is a national problem here in the US
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• soul food

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Same for men being overweight. does color really matter?
    Anonymous

• For the same reason any woman is overweight. I know plenty of black women and some are skinny and some are overweight.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• shruggingbecause they (NOT 100% OF THEM BUT A WHOLE LOT OF THEM) tend to look at a woman who is toned and fit as skinny and not having enough meat on her bones. they also refer to women who are FAT as thick. they also have this weird obsession with ghetto booty's. a woman looks good with a nice round tight ass----- but blacks tend to glorify big butts sooooo huge it looks like the woman pooped herself. an ass thats too big imo looks deformed. why would u want a certain body part to be so out of proportion??? i dont get it.but alot of them claim its their culture. hopefully no one on here gets labelled as a racist for answering this question. watch and wait.....

maya123

Answer by maya123 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I answered this in the other category too, but will put it here in case others are interested in reading the article.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/diet/articles/2009/07/16/blacks-have-highest-obesity-rates-in-us.html

This article does some explaining. In addition to what it lists, I think it can also be a cultural thing, that certain races/cultures consider it more socially acceptable, even attractive, to be "thick".
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Personally, I don't think it's a matter of race as much as a matter of social circumstances. In general, people in lower class, urban environments have less options when it comes to access to healthy food, or healthy food is too expensive, so they resort to the cheaper, more fattening options.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• We don't have many African Americans who live here. We do have a few and they say black people won't live here because it's too cold;) Smart people! Anyways, since we don't have very many of that race it's hard for me to say however, I can say we have a lot of fat white people around here.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 3:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• what i dont understand is there are people who grew up in extreme poverty and they are not overweight . also YES white women and women of other races could be over weight but they don't glorify the extra poundage like its a good thing..............
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 3:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2010