If extending Unemployment benefits is so important . . .

then why won't Democrats agree to pay for extensions with un-used TARP money? I don't get why this is such an issue. There are unspent funds and it should go to help people when they need it. Wasn't TARP a bailout of sorts? Well, who could use a bailout more than ever than those that have been unemployed for so long that they have run out of previously extended benefits?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 3:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• To use already unallocated funds that has been borrowed.  Make cuts other places in government.  Cut government jobs that are a product of redundancy. 

Whoaaaaaa!!!! Your applying too much logic for "some" to comprehend.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:37 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I don't understand either. I think they are doing this because they know Republicans will vote no to more borrowing of money and then they can say they are the bad guys who wouldn't allow them to extend the benefits. Dems have the votes to get anything they want passed but so many of their constituants are so gullible they will believe Repubs are the reason the extension isn't happening. They are doing the same thing with tax cuts going to make sure they don't take the fall for it knowing they never wanted any of the cuts extended at all.
    Anonymous

• I don't understand what the big deal is either.

What's the plan for the unused funds anyway? Wait for more shovel ready projects?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• if the government has the power to print money why are we in debt in the first place?

Come back after you've read this. Specifically chapters 10-15

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

WOW! And this is a fine example of American ignorance.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• With our budget in shambles, is there really such a thing as "un-used" money??
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 3:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• "if the government has the power to print money why are we in debt in the first place?"

I don't even know where to start with this one ....
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• It seems that all lack of common sense is somehow sucked out of everyone once sworn into office.

"if the government has the power to print money why are we in debt in the first place?"

And that seriously ruined my train of thought.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 5:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Seems that budgeting down to the basics would do a world of good.

Yes. This is generally how budgeting works ... cut areas of spending that you cannot afford to be spending in. Of course, that's ALOT of areas for the federal government that people don't want to even begin to think about cutting.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 3:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Beats the hell out of me..but I think anonymous is onto something ..no not the anon who thinks we can just keep printing money lol..the one who said that the dems could point at the pubs and say SEE ITS ALL THEM!
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2010