My doc says i will need to have my gull bladder out since having problems after i gave birth - have you had this problem?

My doc says 10% of woman who have had their 1st baby have to have their gull bladder removed. It's true for me & both of my sisters, but not my mom who had 5 kids. Seems weird.
How long are you on bedrest after this surgery?

MamaInky

Asked by MamaInky at 8:05 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had to have mine out 'cause I was getting such bad pain attacks. I couldnt even pick up my daughter or give her a bottle or anything when they happend. I barely was able to call anyone for help too. I'm only 19 and I am glad I had it removed when I did! If you dont have pain attacks or anything though I wouldnt worry to much! If you do get the surgery though, I dont think you will be on bed rest. I wasnt anyways. Just REALLY sore and tired for quite a awhile. You wont be able to lift anything heavy for about 2 weeks too.
    Anyways, hope this helped!
    hirschichocolat

Answer by hirschichocolat at 9:34 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I had to have mine taken out after my first son. i wasnt on bedrest but i was down for about two weeks, any kind of surgery on your stomach is going to slow you down.
    jewilson08

Answer by jewilson08 at 8:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• If they do it laproscopically, you can be out of the hospital the same day, it's considered an outpatient procedure. Usually it's recommended 4-6 weeks from work, but I was up walking around within hours afterwad and so was my friend.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 8:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Well I don't know about all that but after two years after having my third daughter....I had my gallbladder taken out. But I was having awful pains before I had my first one and chalked it up to a stomach ache, ya I waited 5/6 years before it got so bad I had it removed. I do know this...after having it removed I have had trouble with diarhea constantly...but I don't eat greasy foods anyway..I did before when I was younger. After the surgery which was same day...I was told to be on bed rest for atleast a week...couldn't do that cause it was in August and there was fair in town and I didn't want disappoint my kids...so I took them two days after my surgery and even rode the rides...which was a killer and stupid, I wore tight pants to hold my inners but it didn't help.
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 8:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• No. I'm sorry to hear that! I hope you have a quick recovery!
    salamaat

Answer by salamaat at 8:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I had mine done when my daughter was 2 months old. I was out of the hospital that night and up on my feet the next day. I wasn't supposed to be of course, but I had a baby to take care of. It really didn't bother me too much, but I also had some pain meds. And yes, you want to watch for symptoms of IBS afterwards. It's very common and literally a pain in the butt. Good luck to you!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Yeah this happened to me also! Mine attacked me about four months after having my DD, and they wanted to take it out. But I decided to wait and see. I was still breastfeeding and the thought of being stuck in bed with my new baby needing my care kinda made me think it might be better to put it off. I have yet to have had a problem since, it has been three months.

Cris1128

Answer by Cris1128 at 9:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I had mine out when my son was 7 weeks. I had gallstone pancreatitis which really sucked. I had attacks all threw my pregancy. I was down for two weeks. Even after the two weeks still wasn't feeling so great but i think I tried to much too fast. Just be prepared to have IBS and a little weight gain. Atleast I did. But believe me i would rather live with the IBS then the pain I was going threw with the gallbladder attacks. Good Luck.
    myangel21

Answer by myangel21 at 11:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2008