if you shouldn't use baby oil on babies...then why do they call it baby oil?

I read you shouldn't use baby oil on infants but vegetable oil or olive oil, not the mineral oil that is in baby oil.

lovingedward

Asked by lovingedward at 3:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I used baby oil on my baby's cradle cap.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Marketing.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I heard POWDER, baby powder is a really bad thing but I never heard anything bad about baby oil! that is weird, I know alot of people use it..... I did on my baby but not for the typical reasons. It made his eczema WAAAAAY worse but it worked well on his booty for really dry/awful poops
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:10 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• that's what confused me, because i've heard to use it on cradle cap, but when you're doing baby message and things like that to use vegetable oil but i'm thinking i don't want my baby to smell like something that's been fried!
    lovingedward

Comment by lovingedward (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I used it on my babies, right after the bath.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• "Back in the day" it was used on babies. Over the years they have changed their opinions, but if they changed the name now no one would know what it was! :) I did use baby oil on all my kids to get rid of cradle cap, worked like a charm.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• for infant massage they recommend a cooking oil because it is absorbed into the body, where baby oil just sits on top of the skin because it is a mineral based oil
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• It covers the skin like plastic wrapper. Sometimes mineral oil can lead to acne and various other skin diseases. It slows down the development of cells and causes premature aging of the skin.

One of the major significant malicious effects from mineral oil is that it blocks the skin pores of the one who apply it. It suffocates the skin from breathing naturally and prevents natural discharge of toxins from the skin.

Skin is one of the greatest pollutants and toxic eliminating organs throughout the whole body, so it can lead to serious health problem for babies when their skins are suffocated.

The other problem with mineral oil for babies is that it will lead to vitamin deficiencies. The oil is absorbed into the baby's sensitive skin and it will be processed by the liver and then the nutrients become bound by the oil, thus blocking the absorption of nutrients.

If the baby oil is ingested by an infant then it can cause vomit
    lovingedward

Comment by lovingedward (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Yep..it was used for babies back in the day, but, it isn't good for their skin. Same with baby powder.

You can use lotion for the massage.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• i used apricot oil, grapeseed oil, jojoba oil...anything edible from the healthfood store.
    baby oil is made from petroleum.
    i did not use vaseline either.
    i did use cornstarch sometimes.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2010