The dreaded bra

In July my 9 year old (she turned 10 in Oct) came home from a sleepover and said "Mommy these hurt." pointing to her chest now I noticed that she was budding a little bit ..I went out and got the training bras but she doesn't want anything to do with them her cousins one older and one few months younger are wearing them. she was the last one ..and what size do I put on her. Target has a small selection and Walmart has some but they want size like 30,32,34..she is a size large in clothes does that help.

musicloverDebs

Asked by musicloverDebs at 3:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• get her some jogging bras. All you have to worry about is her chest circumfrence

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• When in doubt, have her try them on.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 3:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• she doesn't need one until she has breasts.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Do you have a Justice for girls store???? they have a nice selection of training bras....I know online some go up to 36...my daughter has been wearing training bras for a couple of years now, its just another clothing item now for her.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 3:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Justice has a really great selection for girls her age/size.
    Anonymous

• 9 years old? WOW! I got my first "training bra" when I was 12. My granddaughters who are 13 don't even need a training bra. But we are thin in our family and develop later. I don't think girls in my day (the 1950's) developed that early.
    She will wear a bra when her friends are all wearing a BRA.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:48 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My 10yo is still flat as a board (thankfully) but last year when she was 9 we took her to get some more as a joke than anything (and Daddy and her younger brother were there...no wonder she hates me, lol). Hers are just plain triangle shaped ones...no different than the bikinis she swims in. She's tiny though so we had to get extra small and they were still a bit big on her. We let her pick the colors. The whole point was one of her white shirts was almost see-through so, of course, she gets bright colors, lol. She rarely wears them though and doesn't need them. My 8yo will probably need them before her. I was about 9 when I started to develop but didn't start wearing a bra until I was 11 and couldn't avoid it anymore. By 12 I was a perfect C cup and stealing bras from my mom, ugh.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:33 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• We started with a sports bra and my daughters were okay with those. We went to Walmart and found a few different styles. WE also went to Limited 2 both girls loved their panties and bras. They were so much more expensive than Walmart but so much cuter. So I let them get a few styles from there.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Sports bra. Super Target has them in girls sizes.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 10:41 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Training bra? That always brought a smile to my face. What are they training for? And by the way, don't call them training bras to your daughters, just say bra. She'll want to feel more growup. My DIL took my granddaugther to Victoria's Secret and the salesgirl helped with the fitting. I didn't really like the idea because now she wants everything from Victoria's Secret and she is only 14.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 8:28 AM on Dec. 7, 2010