i have a step daughter who is 23 year old. I do not have good relationship with her bec of lot of reasons. I do not want her to come my home to disterub my life. As of step mom waht right i have ? adult content

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• What are the reasons? You are her step mother.. if you have been in her life for awhile, you are kind of like a real mother and can't really turn your back on her..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Well, I'm not sure if you mean you have an issue with her coming to visit or to live. I think you and your husband need to make a decision. Is he on the same page with you? Have you tried working out issues with SD?
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 3:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• if you live with her father you have none. its up to her dad...unless she is being violent or breaking laws in your house then you can call the cops and have her removed thats it.
    chanelsparkels

Answer by chanelsparkels at 3:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. Are you asking if you have a right to ask to NOT come to your home. I think you ask that of her although you might want to talk with you husband first. See if he is wiling to talk with her about the problems that are going on. If not then I am not sure what you can do.

You could always try talking with her yourself although from the sounds of things this would not go over very well.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Remember, since you are married to her father and I assume you are living in the same house as him, it is also his home. I think unless she is doing something illegal in your home, you should at least find some way to make peace with her coming to your home.
    Put yourself in her shoes for a minute and see how she feels not being allowed to visit her father in his house.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 3:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• You're worried about what RIGHTS you have? You're kidding, right? You married her father. You are her stepmother. If you don't have a good relationship with her, grow up and start building and nurturing a good relationship. Set healthy limits and boundaries, but be the adult and do what needs to be done.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I also don't understand if she is coming to live or visit, I think there would be a difference.

I do think though that she is an adult. You guys are married and it is your home too. If there are problems between the two of you caused by her you have a right to say you don't want her there. Dh can meet her for lunch dates or take her to dinner, or do whatever they wanna do for some quality time.

She is at the age though where there could be grandkids and stuff like that soon. I hope you guys can find a way to patch things up or at least make it civil enough that a visit at Grandpa's house would be alright. Good luck!

Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 3:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I think this is something that you and her father need to discuss and come to an agreement on what you both can live with in your home.

anon poster who called her a loser - big talk behind a anon post- you are the loser.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 3:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• if your step daughter is really in the wrong, then her father needs to deal with her.
    it is very important when marrying someone with children to understand that those children will probably come before you.
    i couldn't imagine not allowing my husbands children to be with him on christmas.
    sometimes being a parent means you have to make the best of a less than ideal situation.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• also OP if you have questions regarding step kids find a group to post in don't post out here alot of these women will immediately attack you and they have no understanding of what you go through as a step parent. Good luck
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 3:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2010