How long do guppies carry there babies? How many do they usually have?

I was just wondering if anyone knew this. We was give 4 fish (guppies) and we put them in a small one gallon tank and the guy that gave them to us said we will need a bigger tank in a month, cause they breed like rabbits. I'm pretty sure one or maybe two of them is pregnant. So thats why i need to know how long i have to plan and if I need to think about getting a bigger tank ????

SheriesMom

Asked by SheriesMom at 3:25 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Pets

• I don't know all the answers to your questions, but I am fairly certain that guppies will eat all their babies if you don't separate them as soon as they're born. So if you leave the babies in there to be eaten, you won't need a bigger tank.
    We had these kinds of rapid-breeding fish before, and we tried like hell to separate the babies, but it was very difficult as they're tiny and difficult to catch. Then, they all started in-breeding, and we ended up with a bunch of deformed fish. It was awful. After that, my husband stuck to the higher-end fish that don't breed like crazy and live a lot longer.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Call a pet store. They can answer all your questions. I have no idea:^)
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 11:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2010