raising retirement age

The next step is raising retirement age to 69. Your thoughts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• People don't HAVE to work until they are 69 or even 65. All they have to do is make smart choices and have a plan. Heck I am looking at retiring when I am 50. I have worked my butt off since I was 15. I made smart choices and I have a plan. I am not special. I just made up my mind to do something and I have very nearly accomplished it.

I think they should raise the age to 70 AND I think they need to make serious changes to the way people pay in AND I think people should have the choice to opt out..on the taxes and the later payments.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• When we had that "surplus" in the Clinton years all the Social Security IOU's should have been paid back.
    Anonymous

• . why in the hell is money meant for US being givin to current retirees and when we retire we will only get a fraction???????????

When SS was signed into law the life expectancy for men was 58 and women 62. They didn't have the foresight to see so many people would be living into their 80 and beyond. No real adjustments have ever been made to accommodate for it and then the Democrats decided to put SS into the general fund in the sixties and started raiding it for entitlement programs.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I believe that people should act as if that money put into SS never existed. I think of it like taxes. I don't intend to live on it. I hope to have it as a bonus to be more comfortable. I do know someone who ran to collect at 62 and immediately quit working without a penny ever saved and it annoys me greatly. This person is fully capable of working, and ironically, could have drawn more had they waited. I don't think stretching it to 69 is a concern considering the life span is much longer than when this plan was started.  It is a bummer, but it does not require people work until that moment.  Have a P-L-A-N!!!

love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 7:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I would venture to say that most 65 year old , are never ready to retire, and would love to continue feeling productive and continue working. So this would not be a problem for most.

Answer by older at 8:00 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• People don't HAVE to work until they are 69 or even 65. All they have to do is make smart choices and have a plan. Heck I am looking at retiring when I am 50. I have worked my butt off since I was 15. I made smart choices and I have a plan. I am not special. I just made up my mind to do something and I have very nearly accomplished it. I think they should raise the age to 70 AND I think they need to make serious changes to the way people pay in AND I think people should have the choice to opt out..on the taxes and the later payments.

***

EXACTLY!!!

bowing down

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Its unfortunate so many people are dependent on the government's retirement plan.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Honestly, how many people do you know who can actually afford to retire at 65 anyway? Nobody I know, that's for sure... Nobody SHOULD have to work till they're 69, I agree. However, the sad fact is that nowadays, nobody can live off social security as it is, so I really don't see changing the retirement age having much of an impact at all. Most people in this country will be forced to work until they either drop down dead or are physically completely incapable regardless.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• They keep raising the age because it is LESS likely that those people will live long enough to collect--or not collect for too long, which means the government can save money!

Of course, the LARGEST population affected by raising the retirement age are the poor, who often do not take care of their physical selves or seek medical attention, and blacks--who have a lower overall life expectancy.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• By that time you will most likely be dead. (2075) The truth of the matter is we won't have any SS by that time so people won't have to worry about it. People will know they have save for themselves in amounts they pre determine for when they think they want to retire. By that time retiring at 60-65 will be a normal thing of the past. I think it will be good to get people involved in their own retirement. Really, it will do nothing but help when people are taking responsibility for themselves.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2010