Is it ok to have more than 1 set of appointed Godparents for our son?

We can't decide who to choose for our son's Godparents. I feel it should be someone in the family, my husband doesn't neccisarly agree.
I also believe that Godparents are taking an oath, an obligation that if something happens to me & my husband that they are promising God that they will have my son in church and provide him a relationship with God.
I think it is sad because i can't think of 1 man in our family or friends who goes to church, so i don't know who to choose.

MamaInky

Asked by MamaInky at 8:10 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes. I did and so did my son. I also agree they are taking an oath to raise your child knowing God and in church. Which is why it's important who you choose. Is there anyone in your church who you feel close enough to ask to be Godparents.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 8:48 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I would say possibly to chose someone outside of the family. I know that you would feel alot more comfortable with someone in your family, but if there is not anyone that you can think of to bring your son to Church and to have a relationship with God, then maybe a really good friend or something like that would be best. You could have more then one set of God parents, my friend did that and it seems to work out for her pretty well. Good Luck!
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 9:46 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I don't think it necessarily needs to be family. If you think about who would have your childs best spiritual interest at heart and that person is not related to you then so what? I have friends that are more involved in my childrens lives than some family members. Just pick who you think would be best in this aspect and go from there.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:48 AM on Nov. 6, 2008