How do you get over disappointment...

Today was my fiance's only day off for pretty much the next few weeks. We had planned to take a family trip (him, myself, and our 16 month old son) to a children's museum an hour and a half away from us. I am a stay at home mom who rarely gets out so I was really looking forward to this.
Well my inlaws called and asked if I could run some errands for them real quick before we left. We were already running behind schedule but I figured it wouldn't take me long so I said okay. They had me pick up some alcohol for their bar that they own. WELL what do you know just my luck, the bottom box of the alcohol broke out and it shattered and spilled all over the floor. An hour later it was cleaned up but it is now too late to go to the museum because they are only open until 5.
I've been bawling for the past 30 mins because I'm so disappointed that I'm sitting at home again for another day with nothing to do. This kind of stuff always happens to me. Nothing in my life can ever just be simple and easy. There always has to be a wrench thrown in somewhere.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm sorry. I have had awful days too. Just pray and ask God to help you. My best friend's mom just found out she has 6 months to live because she has terminal cancer. Sometimes, hearing things like these things can help up put things in perspective. God bless.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Sorry your plans were changed. This wasn't a wrench thrown in though, this was a choice. They asked you to do something for them, and you decided to do it. This didn't "happen to you", you made a choice. Whatever went wrong from there, yes, it's unfortunate. But we live with our choices. So you simply accept that your choice led you to not being able to enjoy your plans. You can now choose to sit and sulk about it or you can reschedule and be thankful that nothing worse happened.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• aliceinalgonac...I'm saying the wrench was thrown in because the box broke. Had it not broken, we would have been able to go. And also, what upsets me is this is the thanks I get for trying to help and do something nice for my inlaws?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Learn to say "no". They had someone else doing errands before you came along. They can find them again. Make your plans and stick to them.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I totally agree with Alice, you made a choice. As for "this is the thanks I get"? They didn't do this to you, it just happened. And if you made this choice looking for thanks, then you made this choice with the wrong motivation anyway. So if the box hadn't broken, you'd have been able to go - SO WHAT? Life is full of ifs.
    You chose to do something for someone else. It ended up interfering with your plans. SO WHAT? It's done, it's over, you deal. Had your motivation been something other than "thanks", maybe you wouldn't feel so slighted. But things like this happen. And are not a big deal.
    Oh, and IF my husband were still alive, we'd be able to celebrate the holidays together.
    Yes, it's a good example of something worth being upset about. Hopefully you'll figure out what isn't worth being upset about too.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 3:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2010