This is going to sound like a stupid question, but I need gift ideas for a special needs 5 yr old.

She is my SO's daughter. We get to see her usually about two weekends a month if her mom doesn't have other plans (we are all very flexible and try to be understanding of one another).
She is on about a 1-2 year olds level mentally.
She likes music and coloring (but we try not to get the crayons out when she is over because she wants to color on walls). We have those magnetic board things where they color and erase but she doesn't really like them.
She can't barely speak.

We would like to get her some gifts that would help her developmentally.

Are there any good ideas someone can give us?

We have gotten her a play guitar and some clothes so far, but we are going holiday shopping this weekend and would like to get almost everything out of the way if we can. :)

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 4:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Holidays

• I highly recommend the Melissa and Doug products.  From wooden games to simple puzzles with sounds and puppets for storytelling and role playing to stamper kits, and wooden musical instruments--both of my autistic sons got a lot of mileage out of their products!

Also Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs and related accessories--coloring books, manipulatives, etc. Studies have shown that autistic children respond very well to Thomas--as the facial expressions and simple language are slow enough to allow processing of different feelings/emotions.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:37 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I would highly recommend Color Wonder products.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Also, Toys R Us has a catalog out that has toy suggestions for kids with special needs. I have only seen them in the store but you might be able to find them online.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• legos-the ones that are large
    wooden blocks

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:25 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• play tent, flash cards, playdough (practice making into letters)
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2010