Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

When I go to pay my rent and ask for a receipt my appartment complex will not give me one. What do I do?

I am currently living in low income appartments and I am going to college and trying to make a better life for me and my kids. the appartment complex i live at i report problems like my frige isnt working correctly and months later nothing is done. I am afraid that because they are not doing their jobs correctly that one day I will pay my rent and they will not do there jobs correctly and I get kicked out because they have no record or I do not have a receipt proving i payed it. This month i have decided to buy a money order and send it certified mail so that i have record i not only payed it but they got it. Is there any other way i can handle this?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (14)
  • get bank checks from a local bank. That way they'll have a copy of the transaction as well. GL!

    Answer by BisketLiss at 4:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • i would demand one they can write it on paper and sign it.

    Answer by mommyof2bbys at 4:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • Just get a checking acc. and use checks. You would have proof that way.

    Answer by arenad at 4:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • That's a good idea.

    You can also contact your local fair housing comission with your concerns about property maintenence. If they aren't keeping up thier end of the bargin you don't have to pay rent until they do.

    Answer by UpSheRises at 4:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • The money order works for us. I always keep the receipt part of it. That way if there is ever a problem I have that and it can be tracked to see if it was cashed and by who.

    Answer by Alynn74 at 4:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • Yo better get yo reciepts. You need this. do not let them push you aside. Speak with a manager. If nothing there go above their head. Go to the president of the company.

    Answer by Jazmineamomma at 4:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • Tracking a money order can be a lot of hassle. It's so much easier to open a checking account and pay your bills with checks. Our bank will let us see the cancelled checks online so we know what has come through when and you can print a copy as soon as it is processed.


    Answer by scout_mom at 4:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • and i have asked the manager and he has told me the same. Even though they have hours of operation written and sent out to us they are never open and he told me that if they are not open then i can leave my money order in the drop box and i just really do not feel comfortable doing that. I can not afford to repay rent that I already payed because they have dishonest or lazy people there.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:34 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • By law they have to give you a reciept of your transaction. Money orders are a sure way of proof. if that is how you paid your rent then i see no reason to stress, but as one of the ladies said above getting the fair housing commission involved wouldn't be such a bad idea. Just make sure every month you pay with a money order like you did. also the certified mail, return reciept isn't a bad idea either it shows someone has signed for it. ;)

    Answer by BobbieJo286 at 4:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • Money Order reciprs work well and they have a tracking number on them as well!! Your canceles check is your proof of payment as well!! Sounds like u need to find another place though sweetie!! Sorry to say but keep your eye open for cheap rent and ask around as well.

    Answer by Korysmom96 at 5:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.