Need a new way to disiplin my daughter..

She's 4.. Spanking on the butt she laughs..Put in the corner she screams bloody murder..Time out in her bed she screams bloody murder and kicks the walls until the neighbors complain..

MoylanMommie2

Asked by MoylanMommie2 at 4:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• PUt her in the corner and let her scream. It's not hurting her and she will soon realize that it doesn't get a reaction from you. Then she will stop.

If everytime she screams, you yell at her, she is getting attention. Don't give it to her. She'll learn that she needs to behave to get attention and screaming isn't behaving.

Let her sit there until she is quiet for 4 minutes (1 for each year old). I would explain it to her that her time out won't end until she has been quiet. Get a kitchen timer so she can see it and hear it go off. Let her know that you will start it when she is quiet and once it dings, she can get up.
    Once she gets up, kneel down to her level and talk BRIEFLY about why she was in timeout. Give hugs and tell her that you love her.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Oh and, do use positive reinforcement for the quickness of her getting quiet. "you were very good at your timeout"

I don't bribe for good behaviour. That is something that is expected not rewarded for. JMO.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Try taking away her favorite toy for a while, but if she continues to misbehave throw it away and don't buy a new one.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 4:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Ignore her. I do it to my son & honestly don't have any problems out of him. He really dislikes when your not paying him any attention
    ~*~Holli~*~
    MsWood729

Answer by MsWood729 at 4:35 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• hmmm spanking would be my advice but if she thinks its fun, maybe try spanking with a paddle...?
    woobie102

Answer by woobie102 at 4:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I agree with Jademom it worked for my son, he's not perfect but a lot better then how he acted before.
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 5:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Find her "currency", which is THE most important thing to her and take it away for an appropriate length of time. This is what worked with our kids. Warn her that it will be taken away and then follow through. Be consistent.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• We do time out on the wall. Time doesn't start until you are quiet. Then after time out we make sure they understand that it will happen everytime they do it - no matter where we are. Then it's a hug and back to playing. I remember for two days my son and nephew decided they didn't have to follow any rules so they spend the better part of both days on the wall. Since then not so many problems. Now most the time we just ask them if they want to go to the wall and they stop in thier tracks
    Momamyamy

Answer by Momamyamy at 2:16 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• If you are spanking her and she is laughing - it is not hard enough. I don't use a paddle, I use a hot glue stick (not hot, of course) because #1, its not rigid and has give to it so while it stings, it doesn't leave marks and #2, hands are not for spanking. They are for the hugs after the punishment and child's agreement to obey. W/E you do: DO NOT BRIBE HER!! This is the WORST advice/thing you can do!! Putting her in her bed for punishment leads to bedtime struggles - don't do that either. At age 4 kids KNOW they need to obey and need to have discipline (some call it spanking) when they CHOOSE to disobey you. I don't advocate time out/ignoring children EVER!! This is a horrible thing to do!! We don't like the behavior they've chosen to do - it's NOT that we don't like THEM! There are and have always been only 2 rules in my house: Obey and be respectful. If they are doing these then no other wrong behavior will happen. If
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 2:39 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• they respect others, there will be no hitting, kicking, teasing, etc. If they obey, they will do what they are told to do. If there is disobedience or disrespect - they get swats. And there IS no laughing at the ones given at my house - I ASSURE YOU! When given discipline, give them to the count of 5 to "dry it up" on not carry on crying. Then ask "are you ready to obey/be respectful?" Explain that they need to tell you they were wrong to _____ and tell the person they wronged that they were wrong. Then and only then - give big hugs, praise "good girl - now go play and be good".
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 2:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2010