What should thawed breast milk smell like?

I recently thawed out some breast milk and I think it smells bad. It does not smell sour or sweet. It smells like the baby cereal. Earthy or wheat like. It is a little hard to describe. What should it smell like?

savannah85w2

Asked by savannah85w2 at 4:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Generally, it's only bad if it smells and tastes bad, like sour milk. Everyone's milk has a different scent, and can even vary from day to day or hour to hour based on what mom eats. When in doubt, taste it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Taste it. Does it have a soapy barf taste? Then you have too much lipase and will need to scald your milk before storage. Kellymom.com has more info on lipase in the milk.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• To me breastmilk just smells weird no matter if it's been frozen or not. Mine always smelled different after being thawed, no clue why. I didn't have the lipase issue, but I know what you mean by earthy/wheaty smell. As long as it hasn't expired then you should be fine. Make sure you mark it and don't keep it past the time frame dictated by your storage method.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Everyones smells different. Mine even changes after it has been frozen. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    DanyielJ

Answer by DanyielJ at 11:51 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Mine smells funky when thawed also! I think it tastes strange also..............
    MelaniesMama

Answer by MelaniesMama at 1:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2010