What is block feeding and what are the benifets

My son is 4 months old.

karina400

Asked by karina400 at 4:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• block feeding is for moms who have and over active leto down, benefits it can eventually stop the overactive let down, it also works if you have an oversupply.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I've been a La Leche League Leader for 18 years, and I only have a vague idea what it is... as far as I know it is, like many other things, someone's description of how some babies nurse sometimes, which obviously (???) should be done by all babies for whatever reason it is the Expert has determined.

Best if your baby nurses when he's hungry --whether than't 20 times in 4 hours and then not again for 4 hours, or once every 90 minutes throughout the day and night. No one knows better than his body when he's hungry, how much he can digest right now, or how much more he needs how soon.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:34 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Block feeding is when you nurse from one side for X amount of time (say, 3 feedings in a row) and then the opposite side for an equal amount of time (the next 3 feedings). It can be beneficial for moms with overactive let down.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Can also be helpful to help baby gain weight if they are making plenty of diapers but lagging in the weight gain department. It allows them to get more of the high-fat hindmilk.

Should *only* be used if there is an issue, though. It's not something just to try for fun.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Block feeding is the use of ONE breast only for all feeds for a certain period of time. Typically a three hour stretch. The other side gets used for all feeds for the next three hours. This can be a big help with overactive letdown, oversupply and poor weight gain as baby gets more hindmilk.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I had to block feed with my 2nd as he was a grazer - on for a quick few minutes than off again, and I had a very fast letdown (as in backing up the breast pump - seriously!). Once you do this for a while, and get to know your breasts and babe's feeding style, you get a real feel for it. I would generally keep putting babe on the same breast for 3 to 4 times, until I was sure he had gotten the back milk and totally emptied my breast. Sometimes, kids will start to show a preferance for a side, so do try to make sure you are switching - if you have a hard time remembering, just put a little clip or something on the side you are feeding on. After a while, you can just tell by giving your boob a quick squeeze...:)
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 12:44 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Oh, and the benefits - baby gets the hind milk which is the thick, rich cream that takes longer for their bodies to digest and has a lot of the rich nutrients and fat (which they need to grow). The front milk is more watery and thirst quenching, but obviously you don't want them just getting that. Also, it's good to ensure that you are totally emptying your breast to prevent mastitis, engorgement, lopsidedness, etc. My 2nd boy was very gassy and had "pesto" filled diapers during his 1st week - this is not good as that front milk is more sugary and watery. You want their poo to be mustard yellow which means they are getting a good supply of cream (good for sleep, cuts down on gas, good for growth, etc). I block fed on the advice of my lactation consultant.
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 12:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2010