Hospital work is overrated

Anyone else believe that working in a hospital is not the "bee's knee's"? I use to work at a really good one nad it is not all what is cracked up to be. One you have to conform (which can have positives), your world revolves around that place, and sometimes you get mistreadted and unnoticed making you feel bad.

Good side was the benifits and the respect you get in the community (my expereince) but working for something smaller is better. I worked in a non custodial position. lol

Opinions???

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 4:37 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• I work at a county run hospital and hard work is noticed there. The main negative is that the work is physically and mentally demanding and it's easy to get burnt out. Being a nursing assistant is hard work, but like any job, it has it's pros and cons.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 4:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• It is a little over-rated.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 4:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Sounds like every other field, to me.

I've never heard that working in a hospital is the bee's knees... so I'm not surprised that it's just like real work, complete with erratic people, demented policies, objectionable tasks...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• All jobs have both good and bad, it's as simple as that.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Was a cna for about five years yeah it was demanding and not everything you do gets noticed but it was rewarding for me
    Raindew

Answer by Raindew at 4:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Well people in my community think working at the hospital will solve all there problems. Because in their minds you earn massive amounts of money. You don't.

I suffered from burn out...didn't want to but it got hard once everybody is starting to disect evey lil thing you do.

In Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti, MI working for either hospital is consider to be one of the greatest jobs there. Everyone has a goal to work there. Sometimes when I hear some girls say i want to work at the hospital I am like why? lol
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I worked clerical so i did not deal much with patients.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• It definately isn't for everyone, that's for sure. Different aspects of the hospital give different experiences for every individual. Clerical work in any position can be quite tasking. As you're dealing with the customers on a different level then when you're treating them. If infact you do at all. Especially when it comes to billing and insurance you can be verbally abused quite a bit by irrate customers. However, in the field of nursing and being a doctor you're going to find the highs and lows to be of a different extreme. You're working in a higher stress field with customers who just want to be better for no cost to them. It can be quite a rough experience.

I've never had personal experience either way, but my MIL, SIL, FIL, Aunt, and many other family/friends have been in the medical field. So I know only through them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I find this problem because of working at one. Because working at a really good hospital before I compare companies to it and not a lot of places can meet their standards (i have became so acustomedto).
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 5:02 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• as a nurse I can honestly say there is no difference--it's a paycheck, plain and simple.
    Some nurses are too picky to work anywhere but the hospital though...they think any other work is "beneath them".

I made 10 bucks more hourly in a nursing home, so beneath me or not, It's what bought me the house. I'd do it again, if I had to-I just don't have to. :)
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 7:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2010