Worried, is this normal?

I've almost fainted at my work at least 5 times since finding out I was pregnant since I've been in the 2nd trimester. During the first I experienced morning sickness and dizziness, but not almost fainting like I'm experiencing now. I'm a waitress and actually have had to sit down at my tables before falling down, it's so embarrassing :/ My work has been understanding and let me take many breaks just to sit and have a snack or drink a glass of water, not to mention a full 30 minute break for lunch which you don't hear much about in restaurants. I'm not sure what else I should be doing to prevent this? God forbid I fainted and hurt the baby somehow, this just doesn't seem normal.

ours

Asked by ours at 4:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Very common. You need to eat small, frequent meals to keep your blood sugar on an even keel. Plus, being a waitress, you're on your feet a lot. Try to take little breaks here and there, even for just a minute or two, and sit down. It's easy to get caught up in the work day, and then all of a sudden you're flat on your face. Be careful, and try to be in tune with your body and its signals. Pay attention to how long it's been since you last ate something. Keep quick, easy snacks handy.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• it's from your body needing a lot more blood now, and not being able to produce enough to keep up. Eat frequently.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 4:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Is it "normal"? Not exactly, but it is certainly understandable.
    First, is your blood sugar okay? The doc can help you figure that out. If the blood sugar is the problem, small frequent snacks might help...but you are going to have to plan ahead, have things like crackers/peanut butter, a hard boiled egg and some melon wedges, very small but with protein and carb.
    Second, if you are on your feet alot, are you wearing, or can you get some support hose/pantyhose. Your circulation changes so much during pregnancy, that having the blood being "pushed" back up to your heart and head by support hose might help.
    By all means, call the doctor and speak to someone about it. HUGS To you, I hope you feel better soon!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:53 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• If it continues, call your Doctor. Better safe than sorry.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 4:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I wonder if it will get better or worse the further along I get? I didn't have to deal with this with my son, but I had a sit down job then.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• For me, it got worse. I worked in a hospital during my pregnancy, so I was only feet a lot, too. I needed more and more breaks as my pregnancy progressed.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• talk to your doctor that happen to me and it was cus my iron was really low now im much better i once blacked out at the store and fell and hit my tummy my baby is ok but i was freaked out my poor son who is three was screaming mommy mommy when i come to so talk to the doctor and have some test done to make sure ur ok........
    twimommy

Answer by twimommy at 5:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2010