Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working international

I would love to live and work in england. How would I go about trying tog et a job over there?

Answer Question

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 4:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 18 (5,302 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • try to research on line about england and thier jobs there, i think it is really an awesome place...i really like to work abroad too,in your country perhaps....

    Answer by neng999 at 4:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • I remember seeing something that said most places like to fill the positions by citizens first and then go outside so it is kind of hard. I would try to go the university route but that might take to long lol

    Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 4:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • I just heard that England in particular is restricting it's work Visas. If you research English-based companies that may be a good place to start.

    Answer by Scuba at 5:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • Do you have a college education or a special trade/skill? If so, then you might be qualified to work in the United Kingdom with the US government. You can search for international jobs with the US government here-


    Answer by JeremysMom at 5:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • I am just going to school for medical assiting I don't know how helpful that would be internationally lol but will check out the sites.
    I don't know really what a Visa is. I know you need on to be able to work or study leagally in a country but thats about it.

    Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • A visa is a document that is stamped on one of your passport pages. By having one, it allows you to either work or study, or visit for a certain time frame (depending on which visa you get) in that country. I have only had 1 visa and it took about a month of two to get one, but mine was only for a short visit.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 6:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • DONT DO IT! I've done it and it sucked. You'll walk away with debt because the cost of living is NUTS, taxes are crazy, and there is a shrinking job market.

    Answer by SamKJones at 10:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • This was my dream for many years, but it never panned out. You'll need to get a work VIsa and a passport. You'll also need to find an employer before you go. Try looking for a job online or seeing if any American companies with an office overseas are hiring.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

  • yeah I was watching House Hunters International (lol) and this one guy said he applied for this one company and waited some years (3 maybe) to get in. His wife seem to get a job pretty quick...I do knot they edit stuff alot but still :) The most jobs working international are teaching. I don't like others people kids to much to do it lol I know i would ahve to check out their standard for childcare. I know what to look for here but somewhere else...they can do things different. Just to wake up in a different land seems awesome!

    Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 3:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
Hospital work is overrated

Next question overall (Trying to Conceive)