For the first time I met my new dentist, I cried...a lot.

Long story short-My daughter fell into me when we were playing and knocked my tooth loose w/a toy. No harm-Everybody told me it would fix itself. Well, this past week it started to really hurt! I was in tears. So I found a dentist that takes payments and such, I went today to find out if it was broke. Well, it's not. My teeth are actually wonderful. But, I have this infection in my gums-which causes bone loss. (I started to tear up here, I tried so hard not to.) I guess this infection caused me to have some gum disease, a bad state of it. It can cause my teeth to fall out...etc. I started to cry. She told me it's okay, it happens to lots of younger people...it's very common, and can be fixed, and my tooth is going to be okay and I'm lucky I caught it. She was just very nice. I'm still very upset, but not as bad now. I'm just not looking forward to my next appts. It's gonna hurt.

Has anybody had this problem? Did it get fixed?

Chell.o_0

Asked by Chell.o_0 at 5:00 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Health

• I have had serious gum disease too and the way to heal is to get your teeth cleaned, the deep cleaning that removes plaque-calculus and then floss every day. Vitamins help too. It is a big problem and the cleaning hurts but it is so worth it. I lost two molars due to gum diseas and bone loss----please be sure to follow directions and things will get better!!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 7:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My nephew fell on his face (teeth) and knocked out the front two teeth. He got it fixed and had since had braces, and now has a great smile. YES, the two teeth were his permanent teeth. He is now 19 and doing fine with his teeth.

Good luck. You will be amazed at what dentistry is capable of these days.

SMILE, it will be OK.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 5:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Get a second opinion ASAP on your teeth diagnosis. Some dentists are quacks and just looking for $. You will find that diagnosis' vary greatly from dentist to dentist.  You may need nothing done, just a good cleaning.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I don't think she was. I even looked everything up on all these websites, and everything she told me is on those.
    Chell.o_0

Comment by Chell.o_0 (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• If you have gum disease you need to take care of that ASAP - that infection spread throughout your body.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2010