ear infection, home remedy

I have an ear infection I have been home remedying for 3 days with peroxide and olive oil and taking extra vit c. How long would you home remedy before you went to the Dr. ? And does anyone have any othre suggestions for home rememdy? There is no fever, but it's now swollen shut. I know I know, I should go ahead and go but I don't have insurance so I am trying to do what I can from home.

SMWOODS

Asked by SMWOODS at 5:02 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Health

• Id call your dr and explain that you dont have insurance. Maybe they can work with you or prescribe something. That way you can pay for that and not the visit. Maybe you can try over the counter ear drops...or as the pharmacist for advice
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Go get some stuff called "Sweet oil" and use a dropper to drip 2-3 drops in your ear as needed. Thats how my mom always did it and I do it for my kids :)
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 5:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Call you local pharmacy and ask to speak to the PHARMACIST. They are just like doctors and can help you. Good luck and feel better!
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 5:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I had ear infections when I was a child and because my parents never took me to the doctor my eardrums burst and bled several times. I now have hearing problems in my one ear because of it. Please find a way to get your child to the doctor.

To answer your question..sweet oil is sold over the counter at pharmacies and you just warm a little up and put a few drops in the infected ear and it will alleviate the pain. It will not however heal the infection, only sooth momentarily.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• it's not for my child, it's for myself. I don't have a Dr I go to, I haven't been to a Dr since I had my 1st daughter in 2007. I am taking Alevel for the pain but it only helps the pain around the ear and not inside the ear. The olive oil eases for a while but jeez they hurt. It started in the rt one last wk, it started easing up I thought this weekend but then moved to the left and now the left hurts more than the rt
    SMWOODS

Comment by SMWOODS (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Go to walmart & buy Similsan Ear Ache Relief drops. They work.

I wouldn't put oil in your ear. It could prevent drainage from coming out.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:11 AM on Dec. 2, 2010