If you are a gun owner do you hide your firearms from your children?

I have never hidden my firearms from my son. He knows what they are, he knows what they do. He's shot them, he's never once been curious about them because he knows anytime he wants to shoot he can. He actually got his first gun a year ago at 5 years old. Just the other day my 38 was sitting on the table after I cleaned it and my son asked if it was loaded I told him no and checked it again he asked to hold it and never once touched the trigger. I think if kids are taught gun saftey at a young age they won't feel the need to play with guns

onemellowmom

Asked by onemellowmom at 5:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• We lock our guns in a gun case and always have the key in a place he doesn't know about. My son has a bb gun and can shoot it but not whenever he wants and of course only when supervised. After shooting our guns we sit down and clean them together and he knows how to handle guns and how dangerous they are. He knows he is NEVER aloud to touch a gun without our permission, not that he could with them being locked up. It's all about safety and prevention that keeps accidents from happening. Ammo is always locked up separatly from our guns and are NEVER left loaded for any reason.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• i disagree. My cousin was taught gun safety, was great with a gun too. But he glamorized them. Thought they were the coolest thing ever. He shot his 4 year old sister when he was about 14 years old. It was accidental...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I would NEVER have any firearms in our home with or without kids.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 5:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• wow

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:10 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I am with you. We have most of them locked up, but we do have one out for protection(its hidden, where only me and my husband know where it is) But yes, my husband teaches my son about gun safety. If one is out of the safe, my husband is with it.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 5:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• yikes..i dont think i could ever have one..yes, gun safety is good..but i dunno..if i ever did have one, it would be somewhere hidden from my daughter, locked up!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 5:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• No, we don't hide them but we keep them unloaded and the ammunition is kept locked up. They know they are not allowed to touch them, and they've never even gone into my husband's closet (which is where they are kept)

Answer by missanc at 5:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Education does work.
    My DD does know we have guns. Even on the Wii station she avoids shooting games do to lack of interest in that subject. She prefers to draw or make things.
    I have talked to her on gun safety, she even passed a gun safety thing at school by one of the gun associations. She has even sat on a police motorcycle.
    But I guess guns just aren't part of her thing.
    Plus the guns are kept in a gun safe at all times.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 5:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• See all of my guns have triggerlocks, and are kept in plain sight but locked up he never touches them without permission and NEVER without me. They are never loaded, and the ammo is locked up seperately but if he wants to shoot them I will gladly let him.
    onemellowmom

Comment by onemellowmom (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My girls know we have them and know where they are. We have taken them to watch daddy shot them but they have not yet, neither on is interested in it, but if they ask we would let them.

My oldest has used a stun gun before though.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 5:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2010