Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My appartment complex will not come an fix anything i report.

I have had many things break down while i lived in these appartments they are low income appartments. For instance we went without air conditioning for a month in a half during the hottest part of the year and i have small children in the house and one is autisitic. I have had my frige breakdown and when I call it in months later they still have not had someone to even come out and fix it. but if my kids mess up one of the blinds or something they come out and ask me to replace them or they will replace them and charge me twice the amount that the blinds cost to fix them. I am really fustrated. I do go to college and I am trying to make a better life for me and my kids. I am not here just living off of the government. What can i do to at least get the neccesities fixed such as the frige?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (6)
  • You can make a complaint with the housing authority in your area. There should be a phone number in the phone book. If not, just call city hall & ask what department you should contact with a landlord complaint.

    Answer by lisa89j at 5:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • I would talk to an attorney. In the lease if there is something that states that the landlord/apartment owners have to fix these things, and they are not doing so, you might need to take legal action.

    Answer by Ash9724 at 5:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • I would go to the landlord and threaten to break the lease if nothing is done. Thats of course if theyre not gonna make money off of you doing that. IF that doesnt help then start looking for something else...this may not be worth the stress

    Answer by Steph319 at 5:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • Contact the housing authority or your local code enforcement. Especially if they are receiving gov't funds for rent subsidy (such as Section 8) they are legally required to keep the buildings up to code and w/ a certain minimum standard of expectations. Anything that was listed as an amenity when you moved in (such as appliances) MUST be maintained.

    My old apartment was so bad I gave up and moved out. They tried to move in a woman on Section 8 (with increased rent, no less) and ended up with over 200 code violations that had to be taken care of. And the building only had 4 apartments!

    Answer by geminilove at 6:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • I would call the health board on them!

    Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:17 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

  • File a complaint. I can't think of the government agency off the top of my head, but when I was renting I had to report my landlord for not cleaning up mold. I had to fill out a form. I think it may have been with the county court house. The next step after that is to take them to court.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 2:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
Working international

Next question overall (Relationships)
Outside influences