why do black and white mulattoes automatically refer to themselves as black?

maya123

Asked by maya123 at 5:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• My ex was like that and I asked him out of curiousity. He said that he was more accepted by the blacks then he was the white. Which is why he leaned more to that race
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• They don't.

All persons of mixed racial background do NOT simply refer to themselves as any one thing.

Me? I'm multi-racial.

(and usually it's uninformed others who refer to me as black)
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 5:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Wow...

Because in this country it was decided by white folks back in the day that one drop of black in you makes you black.

No other race is defined this way.

And for the record...Mulatto = racist term.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I guess it depends on which race they identify more with. My friend's half sister has a white mom & a black dad. I've never heard her refer to herself as "black" or "white". She says she is bi-racial.
    Anonymous

• braden - actually, the "rule" was that if a person was 1/8 or more black, then they were black.

To answer the question - most of my friends that are mixed refer to themselves as biracial, or mixed.

Answer by missanc at 5:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I am bi racial and I do not refer to myself as anything more then anything else. I check other on most applications because they never say my combination of ethnic groups. I think that I will never give one race more credit because each gave me something and I feel both are of equal importance in my life.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 5:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Yes, I agree Bi-racial is FAR better if you have to use any term.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My nieces and nephew call themselves mixed. So do a few of my friends. Who really cares. if they do, maybe it's what they identify with more. That's not a bad thing.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I was just reading the answers in this post and was shocked by how may people said that Mulatto was a racist term, I was completely unaware of that. I learned the term from a high school text book, it isn't a term that I use but I know what it is. I was just completely unaware that it was offensive. I am glad that I read this thread so I know now never to use that term! Learned my lesson for the day!
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 5:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I must live under a rock lol Ive never heard that term. Just googled it lol
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2010