Does it cost a lot to get a divorce?

latora859

Asked by latora859 at 5:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• You can do a pro se divorce (you file and fill out all the papers yourself), all it costs are the filing fee's, which vary from county to county and state to state. Good luck.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 5:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• probably?
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 6:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• It depends on how much real estate, kids, property etc. that both of you have to split. Are you guys still being nice to each other or is one of you bitter? It depends on alot of things my divorce cost 150.00 and my fiance's cost 1500.00. I hope this helps. Hang in there.
    Krista0723

Answer by Krista0723 at 7:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Call around to some attorneys. They give free quotes. I got mine done through Legal Aid and it didn't cost me anything. I did my daughter's divorce (filled out the paperwork) but they didn't have children or real estate. That's the rule in FL for doing it yourself.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• It depends on your situation. If you both agree on everything it will be a lot cheaper. If you don't and there is a lot at stake hire a good (expensive) lawyer to fight for you. Many places have lawyers who will take cases pro bono (free).
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 8:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Yeah...it depends on the holding and kids you have. If no kids or holding, it's a simple filing you can do yourself. If not, then you need a lawyer and then you have to look into if your SO is going to be difficult or work though it smoothly with you.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 9:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• just depends on how you do it really
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 11:02 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Mine cost 1500. I wanted to make sure done right and ex couldnt come back and say anything. Things went fairly smooth. I know of some couples where the other just doesnt let go and disputes EVERYTHING.... thats when it comes into some money.
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 8:45 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Depends on your state. The cheapest option is mediation but that's only recommended if you're pretty amicable and can agree on things. I personally paid $0 because my ex is the one who filed. I represented myself. It was uncontested and took a little under 5 months.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 8:50 AM on Dec. 3, 2010