Giving a baby milk for the first time...

My 13 month old had it for the first time last night and she was soooo hyper afterwards, it was hilarious. Couple questions-

How long can it sit in the sippy cup before I throw it out?
Can I put the sippy cup in the fridge after she's taken a drink?
If i'm lactose intolerant and so is her dad, should she have lactose free milk?

Any other tips welcomed.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 5:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hilarious but frightening too! There's sugar in milk, i'm guessing that was what did it.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 5:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• That's weird. My little one never liked cow's milk though, I always give her soymilk. I wouldn't leave a cup out for more than a couple hours. I'm always putting sippy cups back in the fridge once they are half empty and she doesn't want anymore. Pay attention to how gassy your LO is and if the milk seems to have adverse effects. If it does, then switch to soymilk.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 5:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I always put my LO's milk (sippy) back in the fridge I also will only let it sit out for an hour-two at the very most. As far as being lactose intolerant she probably has a higher chance but doesn't mean she will so just keep on eye on her. Also our dr. had us start our son on milk by mixing it half and half with formula to ease him into it so it wouldn't be so hard on his little tummy-just a suggestion.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 5:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• we never did formula so i don't know if that would do anything. I could pump breastmilk but it's such a hassle
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I know I will probably get a lot of bad reactions to this but I put my DD on 2% milk at 6 months. Every kind of formula I tried she would throw up. My DD is in the 97 percentile for her height and I am told she is at the perfect weight. She transitioned to the milk like a champ; we have had no problems since. I give her milk and yeah I put the sippy cup in the fridge when she is done.
    DebHart71

Answer by DebHart71 at 9:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2010