Can a woman have a period and still be pregnant

so here it is, i had my period back in october 4 and nothing last month, and i've been noticing my stomach and breats are a little bigger, and movements, took a test two weeks ago and it came out positive, but today when i went to my appointment the doc said it was neg. i explain everything to him and he's like there's no way that a woman can have their period and be pregnant, and he's never heard of it. and he wouldn't believe me that i am and i kept insisting to give me a blood test and ultrasound, and he's like for what if it's going to come out neg. but i told him, my aunt went through the same and didn't know she was pregnant till she was 6 months, and still the same.
have u gurls went through the same, and if so, what happened with u and the doctor.

cataquiroz24

Asked by cataquiroz24 at 5:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Not your period. But, you can have vaginal bleeding.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• that's what i been having just spotting for one day and not have to change pads, but even then the doc didn't believe me!
    cataquiroz24

Comment by cataquiroz24 (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I would find a new doctor and demand a blood test. My cousin had her "period" for the whole 9 months of her pregnancy..I would def. get a second opinion..
    MoylanMommie2

Answer by MoylanMommie2 at 5:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Sounds like your doctor is a complete idiot. Technically, no, you can't have a period and be pregnant. Since having a period is menstruating, and that doesn't happen if you're pregnant. You can, however have breakthrough bleeding that may just seem like a light period. What brand of test did you use? It sounds like you're pregnant, but I don't know why a HPT would be positive and the one at the dr be negative. I suggest finding a different doctor anyway, I wouldn't want to stick with somebody that incompetent no matter if I was pregnant or not. Try another HPT (EPT, first response, clear blue, and the dollar tree tests are the best. I know you can find a $2 off coupon on the first response website.) and make an appointment with a different doctor. When you call ask to speak to the dr or a nurse and explain the situation. Only make an appointment with someone who will agree to do a blood test.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 5:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• You can bleed while pregnant but its not a real period. If you have a menstrual period the entire lining of your uterus sheds & then there'd be no place for the baby to be attached to. Women mistakenly call it a "period" but its not. Your doctor is correct on that. Also if you had a period on Oct. 4th & you are pregnant there would be no way you would feel movement yet.
    Anonymous

• That is not a period and yes, you can bleed and be preg, it's not even uncommon. You need a new doctor this one doesn't sound like he knows what he is doing. The doctor should have done the tests you asked for if for nothing else but to ease your mind
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 5:34 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• and why do i have this movements when im sitting down, or lying on my right side. i can't even sleep facedown no more it's really uncomfortable
    cataquiroz24

Comment by cataquiroz24 (original poster) at 5:34 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Interesting question.....I DIDN'T GET a period AFTER my 7th child, I was nursing, and THEN was Pregnant AGAIN and OVULATED, and was hugely surprised.....so I tandum nursed the last 2 for a few years.
    unborndoula

Answer by unborndoula at 5:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Technically it's not your period...but it's one of the reasons my SIL went into labor not knowing she was pregnant...so yes, it's very possible. I don't know this doctor, but I don't think I like him...
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 5:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I would be looking for a new doctor first thing. You can bleed while pregnant, and mistake that for a period. If you had a positive test, and then bleeding, and then a negative test, I might suspect miscarriage. In any case, pregnant or not, miscarriage or not, you should see a different doctor. One that listens to what is going on with you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:02 PM on Dec. 1, 2010