Seriously, will my mouth retainer set off the metal detector at the airport?

Tomorrow we fly to Vegas. I have a retainer that's held on with 2 small metal bars. Will this set the detector off? It's the first time I have flown with it. I'm sure you'll say just remove it but it kinda holds up a tooth and I don't want the big gap showing.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 6:01 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Travel

• It shouldn't, neither my braces nor my retainer ever set off the metal detector. Have fun! I love Vegas!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• It might, depending on the level of sensitivity they have the detector set to. I know some people who have surgical screws/pins/plates and they set off the detectors, but only in certain airports. However, a dental appliance is just like a medical appliance and you aren't required to remove it UNLESS instructed to do so by the TSA. If it sets it off, and you've removed all other metal on your person, ask them if it could be your metal dental work and ask them to wand you.

(Hey, the aluminum salts in my antipersirant set off the metal detector in San Francisco once! It became apparent when the body wand kept going off in my armpits and I was wearing a tank top!
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Thanks =P
    My husband's company flies us there every year and puts us up in a hotel for the annual company Christmas party. It's fun but I don't want to be toothless around his co-workers!
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I think so.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 1:42 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It didn't!
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2010