Does seeing "X-Mas" Vs. "Christmas" bug you?

I have seen a lot of posts on facebook lately about keeping Christ's name in Christmas by posting your status blah blah blah in opposition to the term X-mas. So today my friend posted the origins behind the phrase, and I thought it was interesting. In Greek, Christ's name is Xristos. During the 16th century people started using Christ's first initial "X" in place of the full name...hence X-mas. It was understood that the X represents Christ and was not meant to replace it, as some assume today.

I thought this is interesting, since I had never thought to look into this before...and now I can tell my offended friends that it's no big deal. LOL. ARE people actually offended by this term???? I am a Christian, but I never saw it and thought to myself "Wow, stop replacing his name!"

And yes, for those who are going to point out the pagan origins of Christmas...I know. I just thought this was interesting.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• That was interesting. Thanks for the fun fact!
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 6:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I simply find it lazy, which is why I don't do it. What others do is up to them.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Nope... not offended by it.

Quite interesting facts you have posted too :D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Well, it is lazy...but not anti-Christian apparently!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• doesn't really bother me.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 6:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I'm not offended at all, but I do think it's lazy.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I can definitely see the lazy thing. I'm not sure how hard it is to type a few extra letters... I wonder what the motivation for that was? Were they still using a Chisel in stone back then? Haha. And yes, that was a joke...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I don't do it because I feel like I am putting an X over Christ. What other people do and why is up to them.
    MountainMomma3

Answer by MountainMomma3 at 6:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• No, but I knew the history behind the reason for it before you posted. Thanks for informing others :)
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Nope. I don't understand why anyone would waste the energy getting upset over something so small...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:57 PM on Dec. 1, 2010