How do I deal with a toddler who only wants Daddy and a baby who needs lots of attention?

I have a 2 year old and a 4 month old. My husband works from home, so he has been able to help out a lot which has been GREAT. Unfortunately, the 2 year old now only wants Daddy to put him down for his nap, play with, do pretty much anything. And he cries for Daddy whenever he gets hurt or is sad...it breaks my heart :-( Not to mention that he's in the midst of being 2 and refuses to sit at the table/eat/get dressed/ do anything. The baby nurses frequently (2-3 hours) and rarely takes naps longer than 30-45 minutes. My husband really needs to get more work done during the day, but he ends up taking the 2 year old all morning while I attend to the baby.

Does anyone have any advice? On any aspect of this?

leialeialeia

Asked by leialeialeia at 6:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it's pretty typical..since your DH works from home, they have had time to bond. With my daughter, who is 27 months, she is attached to daddy whenever she sees him, b/c he's NOT home alot. He runs a restaurant and has very long and weird hours. if the toddler wants a lot of daddy time, just look at the bright side. it's time you get with your little one and you can have it in peace. Im sure the stage will be over soon enough and they will be competing for your attention :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:35 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I would say set a schedule, of when your son can expect to have Daddy, like 30 min before nap time and then Daddy puts him to nap. He doesn't see him agian until x time. You can get an analog clock and mark the time when Daddy will be all his. otherwise Daddy has the door closed. THis will be hard at first but he will get it after a while, but just like kids who go to day care will get it so will he. Everyone will have to be strong. And leave the door shut to were Daddy is.
    WIth the nursing every 2-3 is totally do able. I am assuming each feeding is some were between 20-40 min. During that time have an activity box that is for nursing time. And if he is not occupied already he can get something out of the box. Other then that he will have to wait. See if you can nurse near a table and read him a book or play a game, like simone says. He will adjust to haveing to share you.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 6:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• to cont. He will resist this change, it is a big one in his little world, be consistent. In the next few months you youngest will start getting a better schedule as well and you can start to mold that schedule a little bit. Try to allow some naps to be longer by not getting him right away when he wakes give him 5-10 mins, unless screaming. And naps times that you don't want, wake him up 5 min. early. When he starts to sleep in more on the naps you want. Increase the time you wake him up by a few min more each day.

This is doable.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 7:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2010