Should spanking be a form of punishment? How would you define spanking? If not, spanking then what alternatives would you suggest?

Lanchas

Asked by Lanchas at 6:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• It's an individual decision, I don't think it's right for anyone to say spanking is "wrong" or "right." Spanking to me is open-handed on a child's behind. I chose not to spank, and have used time-outs, taking away privileges, etc. and it's worked well for me. I know moms that do use spanking, and it works for them - to each his own.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I'm against spanking. I just don't see how you can teach a child that hitting is wrong by doing it yourself.... I was spanked as a kid, and it didn't do any good at all. We use time outs with my 2 year old, and they work like a charm.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I have a VERY strong willed daughter, who will kick and scream. I have tried time outs consistently, only for her to laugh at it (literally)...I have spanked her twice, and that is when i have exhausted every other option. She is almost 2 1/2. It has worked on her. NO, I don't plan on using it as a normal form of punishment. But if what she does is enough to deserve it and it puts her in harms way, then yes, I will do it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Ive tried it and it doesnt work. I will never judge someone esle for the way they discipline
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• this is a difficult question. all people have there own views on it and its kinda based on how they were raised. i grew up in a very strict home where spanking was borderline abuse. my personal veiws r swatting like a light smack on the hands or butts ok just to get there attention. i would never spank my daughter like with a hard force so it hurts. i think that is very wrong but probably think that way due to my childhood. there are other forms of punishments too. like time out i usally dont put my child in her room for time out cuz of her toys, i have a special stool in the laundry room and set a timer for 5 mins or until she calms down then i go hug here and tell +her what she did was wrong. my daughter is extreamly well behaved. what u deside to do as a parent is the right choice. i hope this helped.
    gusgus_mom

Answer by gusgus_mom at 6:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Spanking is a form of punishment. It's up to you to decide whether to use it or not.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:42 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I'm against spanking, but I don't usually judge others for choosing to do it.  I want my son to learn that hitting is wrong.  That said, I could imagine maybe smacking his hand if he were about to touch something hot--or something like that, but we choose to use other methods for discipline/punishment.  I grew up with one parent who spanked occasionally and another parent who never spanked and used other methods of discipline and teaching about behavior.  All I got out of being spanked was anger and resentment.  Luckily my dad rarely spanked.  What I got from my mom was how to think for myself and figure out why things are wrong (not just because she said so).  We use time outs, distraction, and removing of toys or privileges, and we talk about how he should behave, and they all work well when we are consistent.

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 6:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

Not shocked they didn't work on you. I also am against spanking unless it is my husband spanking me. I don't see how it teaches children anything but mom and dad hit when they get mad. Spanking is definately a form of discipline lazy people use. Time outs, logical consequences and loss of privledges have worked well for my kids. They behave much better than I do.lol
    Anonymous

• Yes, if that's what works, use it. For us, it works, so we use it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Now why the hell was I voted down for my answer???? I never said I judge others if they spank, just that I don't see the use for it myself.... Man, somebody has nothing better to do than follow me around and vote me down, I swear, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2010