Child constipation

My 4 year old has had problems with constipation since she was born finally after several trips to the doctors and staying in the hospital we have her on medicine to help her go and soften her stools but now she is scared to go and is holding it in any suggestions as to how i can get her to stop this?

momof2girls757

Asked by momof2girls757 at 6:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My daughter and niece had the same problem and the only way my sister and i could find to get them to go was to put them in a warm bath and it usually worked, just be ready:) After awhile they see its not hurting anymore and they will start going on the potty. Good luck.
    andie6

Answer by andie6 at 7:10 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My son had chronic constipation until we had him allergy tested. Now he's gluten free & has regular movements without problems.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:47 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• she will hold it until she realizes that it's not going to hurt when she goes... my 2 and 3 year old get stopped up when they drink milk... and if they have too much they have hard poop... they will then hold for days thinking that it's going to hurt when they go... nothing you can really do but talk her through it.
    asil

Answer by asil at 1:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Use a reward system for when she does go and hopefully she's start having a more positive experience with it. Perhaps you could give her "tickets" that she saves up and when she gets ten (or whatever you decide) she gets a trip to the store/restaurant/other special place she likes. Or something each time she goes on the potty.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 4:39 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Poor thing. I don't really have any ideas, but good luck.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:18 PM on Dec. 10, 2010