Have you or are you in the process of adopting?..... If so....

It seems there are a lot of questions on how to get started or which road to choose. Would you mind sharing your avenue and the best way to get started/ why you chose that method of adoption?

I am an adoptive mom of 3. We chose to foster to adopt. All 3 were our first and only placements and brought home at birth. We do not have any bio children. I researched for almost 1 year before we chose to foster. I believe in all avenues of adoption including domestic and international adoption. :) I feel very blessed to have my babies and truly understand that fostering is not for everyone. I will admit it was a wild roller coaster ride, but all families have their stories, don't they?!

love2snorkel70

Asked by love2snorkel70 at 7:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Adoption

• For us, foster adoption is all we could agree upon. I didn't want to deal with being matched and losing the child if the mom decided she wanted to parent and DH refused to look overseas. He was very involved at work with someone from foster care and he turned me into researching it and that's where we went. Two beautiful boys later and we couldn't be happier =)
    yo_ho

Answer by yo_ho at 12:32 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• We went through facilitators/agencies for both adoptions. If I had to do it again, I would foster for the first and agency adopt the second. I could have went through the foster care roller coaster the first time but am not sure if I could have done it with the second since I wouldnt want to bring children into my older child's life with the risk of them being removed.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have started the whole process a lot earlier. Also, our agency would not allow us to foster while we were waiting to adopt and that was really not in our interest. We became tied to them because we paid our $$ upfront and that is not something I would have ever done looking back.

At the end of the day, we have the babies that were meant to be with us so God has a plan.
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 10:25 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• After having 2 healthy children, we looked into adoption, figured we'd want a little older child, since we had 2 bio's. After the first interview, we decided to try and adopt a boy. Within the next 2 months I got pregnant, and had a boy....since then had, 2 more girls and another son....7 all together, alive, one little 'angel,', my older daugher called her 'Rainbow'.

unborndoula

Answer by unborndoula at 7:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• We adopted from the foster care system, 3 siblings, who were 3 1/2, 5, and 6. That's almost 11 years ago and it's worked out wonderfully.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 8:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I forgot to say we contacted the Department of Family Services and a private foster agency and went to orientations. That is the best place to ask questions that pertain to your state/county as each ones policies and procedures are unique. They will tell you their requirements and give you the facts on the process and what it entails.

love2snorkel70

Comment by love2snorkel70 (original poster) at 7:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Bless all of you! I would like to foster and adopt in the future.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 6, 2010