At what age did your children begin to read?

My 2 oldest began to read just before their 5th b-day. My 3rd child isn't at all interested in reading and he is already 5. I'm not sure when he should start trying to read...

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 7:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My oldest learned at 4. I think 5-6 is about average. Mine learned to read using Bob books. You can find it all on Amazon.com. Good luck, he might get more interested once he is in school and the other kids are reading and he has homework to read. Make sure you read to him nightly to increase his exposure to books themselves.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 7:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My oldest and youngest learned at 4, my middle one struggled with reading, and didn't learn until he was 7, but then he really made up for waiting so long.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My 6yo began reading at 2. He just read Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and read 250pg Frankenstein in one night. I don't know how we did it, I hope my 14mo will learn soon too.
    hotmama404

Answer by hotmama404 at 7:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• All three of mine were 4 when they started to read.

Answer by older at 7:42 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• He walked out of my body with a book in hand.lol He was 3 when he started at first I thought he had simply memorized the books we had but I bought a few new ones and the little guy could read them. He is gifted so that is why he picked it up on his own so young.
    Anonymous

• She started around 5ish. I always read to her & she liked books
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:57 AM on Dec. 2, 2010