Interreligious Sleepovers?

Would you allow your child to spend the night or weekend with a family who did not share your religious beliefs if you knew your child would be exposed to their beliefs? *Meaning they are openly practicing in their faith, not just different by title*

And would their religion of choice matter in your decision?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Absolutely - and no, it wouldn't.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:25 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• For me it depends on how extreme they are. If they were going to tell my child that she is going to Hell for not following their views, that would be a problem. If they were going to observe, and explain, a religious tradition, such as the Jewish Sabbath, I'd be okay with that.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 7:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I think that everyone needs to research other religions and be exposed to them to have a better understanding of people in general and be less racist against others who are different. Start early and help fight ignorance! Just explain to your child that everyone has different views and instill the views you want your child to be raised with but allow them to make their own decision on religion when they are old enough to decide that. Just teach them right from wrong and whats acceptable behavior and what is not and I dont think that you will have any problems, also remember that your child may come home with questions... all you can do is answer them honestly w/o any discrimination....
    AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 7:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Sure if I knew the family well enough. I like having my kids understand and appreciate the beliefs and customs of other people

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I certainly would let them. I am opened to learning and want my kids learning as much about different religions as possible. I want them to learn to accept that we are not all the same. Even Mommy, Daddy and Grandparents do not share the same beliefs. I grew up in a faith that a lot of people have misconceptions of and I don't want my kids to ever be the way that certain children and parents were towards me.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I agree with Hazelnutkin, it would depend on the level of "religiousness", so to speak. I'm all in favor of exposing my child to different religions, but if they're going to tell him he's going to hell if he doesn't believe the same way they do, or express any kind of judgemental attitudes towards other (non)religions or groups of people, I wouldn't want him anywhere NEAR them.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Aside form devil worship or sacrificial offerings, nope don't care. Of course I would let them spend the night. Provided they were open and willing to accept my child's beliefs as well they were not trying to convert my child, or make her feel awkward. MY hubby and I are of different religions. My children and I are all one, when we are at his Parents we participate in his religion, I talk with the girls so they are as comfortable as I can make them.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 7:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Depends - there's a huge difference between grace before dinner and taking him to Sunday school the next day where some overzealous teacher tells him mommy and daddy are going to hell, but he can save himself if he just says some words.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:42 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I don't think I would be comfortable with my young children staying over while another family outwardly practices their religion, My kids spirituality is very importanf and there are too many strange practices for my taste.
    PEPPERSHAKER

Answer by PEPPERSHAKER at 7:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• i wouldn't care unless they practice some weird stuff or are too extreme. alot of kids dont really care about religion anyways especially if they are very young. they just regurgitate what mommy and daddy said. they care about playing with their friends and just being kids.
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 1, 2010