How do you sneak veggies into your child's food?

I have read the cook books and have tried a few recipes I've seen online, but I was just wondering which ones have you tried that your kids actually go for. My son only likes two so far. Trying another tonight :)

handsomebabyj

Asked by handsomebabyj at 7:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Buy the tri colored veggie pasta, try sweet potato french fries, steam some veggies and stick them in a blender or food processor and add to sauces such as spaghetti sauce. Add steamed cauliflower to mashed potatoes and then mix w/ mixer until smooth. And most importantly keep offering the veggies so they keep trying them regularly too.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 9:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• My son loves rice, so we sometimes make rice w/ veggies in it. You could also buy pastas that have spinach in them.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 7:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I've never had that problem. My kids love veggies. We were just putting the food away from dinner and my two year old got mad and opened up one of the containers because she wanted more green beans.

I used to add peas to a lot of things. There was a time when my oldest got a little picky with her veggies (I think she was 3). I started adding peas to her mac & cheese along with cooked hamburger. Now she is 8 and begs me to make mac and cheese with peas in it. She won't normally eat peas but loves them in her mac and cheese.

I convinced her to eat them by telling her that perfectly cooked peas will "pop" in her mouth. She ate every single one just to feel the pop.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I have no idea. I make my girls eat theirs. We had some rough spots, but now they're pretty good at eating everything I give them. My older one actually begs me to make broccoli some nights, and just a few months ago hated it!
    bluiidmommy

Answer by bluiidmommy at 7:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I believe that you shouldn't sneak in anything. Introduce one veggie at a time and be consistant in offering it to the child. Just because the child rejects it the first time or the second means nothing. What I have learned with my baby girl (11 months) is that if I keep offering it to her, just a little bit at her own pace and I keep it consistant all of a sudden she was eating more and more of it then, I intruoduced a new veggie. Sometimes it the case of getting the aquired that to it. If the child really doesn't like it, you will definetely know. Hope this was helpful for you. Good Luck!
    EvaMarie07

Answer by EvaMarie07 at 8:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I don't. I'm a firm believer that there is no reason to "sneak" healthy food to a child. For instance, let's say you make your child a brownie but it has vegetables in it. To YOU it has vegetables, to them...it's just a brownie. This isn't teaching a child good eating habits. Instead we have firm rules that only healthy things are eaten in the house except on days where we bend the rules (typically Saturdays and sometimes lunch on Sundays). Remember, a child WILL NOT let themselves starve. If you just continually offer vegetables with meals, they eventually WILL eat them.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 10:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• ragu makes a sauce now for spaghetti and it has vegetables.......or you can add broccoli carrots,,,,,(fineley chopped).......i simply say ,,no icecream til u eat your veggies or atleast try....it works every night....ice cream isnt a great thing, but the cacium is!!!
    cameron536

Answer by cameron536 at 6:10 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• chop it up and mixed it! hahahah i am very good at it. I tell them eat the rainbow... eat it up good for your eyes, and you can do math really fast. They look at me like yeah....... still not taste good.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 6:49 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• My son ate EVERY veggie puree (stage 1 and 2) but now that we are offering the actual thing as table food, he's like "wha?" That's why I'm trying different ways. He definitely is a veggie baby though. Thanks ladies! :)
    handsomebabyj

Answer by handsomebabyj at 9:51 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I have heard that you can mix baby food veggies into sauces and the kids will never know, but I have not tried that yet. I usually just put a few of the veggies on their plate and then tell them they have to eat at least two bites before they are excused.
    cldetary

Answer by cldetary at 9:51 AM on Jul. 6, 2008