How can two complete strangers look alike?

My family and I just got back from Europe. In Spain, we were at a restaurant and there was a family with a little girl who looked exactly like my little girl. It was amazing! We almost couldn't tell them apart. They were 7 months apart and they had some slight differences if you looked at them closely, but they looked like identical twins.
There is NO WAY we can be related with them, we talk about it a lot.

My question is, how can that be possible? How can two people who are not related at all look so much alike? Genetically, I don't understand...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Well truly there is only so many variations in facial features and different features. When put all together they produce what would be an infinite number of possibilities but once in a blue moon all the same traits are repeated.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Everyone has a twin in this world...remember.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 7:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• sure, that's why there are celebrity impersonators (well, the good ones look just like the real thing lol)

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• There are only so many genes to go around... the likelihood of the set being completely different from every other human on the planet is extremely unlikely.

Some people look exactly like someone else, only at a certain point in their lives.

You wouldn't be able to tell a photo of my daughter at 8 from a photo of my cousin when she was 12... but today they hardly look alike at all. For a while, my brother looked a lot like my dad, but not so much now. My eldest looks the dead spit of my grandmother when she was in her early 20s, but in baby and child pictures they don't look at all alike.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:02 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Years ago at my job a lady said there are 7 people in the world that look like you. I should of asked her how she knows and didn't. Were you ever mistaken for anyone else? I was. A long time ago. And no relation either.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 9:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2010