Question for a friend on shopping for girls

Dear friend of mine is dating a woman for about 6 months now, and wants to get presents for her kids (they know him, like him, all good on that end). I helped him with ideas for the boy, but I have NO idea what's the "right" thing for girls that are 12 (almost 13) and 15 these days. Added to that, he's trying to walk that line of not going overboard or looking like he's trying to compete with their dad, but at the same time, he doesn't want to be totally clueless either. Ideas for the $20-30 range?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Holidays

• You're going to have to ask someone who knows the children involved.

See, I know one 12yo girl who'd lose it if she got anything pink... and another who'd do backflips for a pink notebook with pink pages and a pink pen with pink ink.

It is not possible to get a 'gift that is for this age/sex' without making a mess of it, especially if the person involved has an opinion about life. Impersonal 'some lady in the mall said her daughter liked it' gifts are... well, they border on insulting.

What does he know about the child --her taste in clothes, her music choices, her pet peeves, her activities. All of these could lend themselves to gifts available in any mall... 15 minutes of talking about her and what she likes would give him some direction.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:10 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• honestly it really depends on what they're into. he could get them bath and body works stuff.....maybe dvd that they like/want.....jewelry.....i guess the best bet would be a gift card to their favorite store lol. not all girls like the girly girl stuff so he'd have to think about their personalities, how they dress, what they're into, etc.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:10 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Hmmm....well, I'm trying to think back to what I would have liked at that age. Gift cards are always nice, because they can pick out what they want, but I also think they seem a little impersonal. What about some sort of craft kit? Like, a tie-dye kit, jewelry kit, something like that? I always loved that kinda stuff. There are some that are for little girls, but there are also some for teens and pre-teens.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Charm bracelet? Wal-mart has those really nice $5-10 ones (just not crosses, most girls don't want that). I think that would be a safe bet that she can wear without fear :)
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Gift Cards! Always a hit with a girl. There are many to choose Barnes & Noble, any video/music place, Starbucks, clothing stores. The card would need to fit the interest of the girl involved.
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 12:34 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Gift cards are not "always a hit"....I flip if someone gives me a gift card because I think its impersonal and lazy and I've always felt that way, even when I was a kid. (not knocking people who give them or like them, just saying not everyone will appreciate one so its not really a great fallback)
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:18 AM on Dec. 2, 2010