So I was thinking of getting some public assistance, BUT..............

One of my good friends works in the county's assistance office and she told me not to even bother. I almost died when she told me reason, because i own a home, a car and im white. They primarily help people who are hispanic, black, and who make way below the poverty level. Our income is $100 over the monthly level. I just found out an aquaintance I have (shes black) has her house paid for, her two older kids go to college for free, she gets welfare, food stamps, her heat and lights paid for and neither her or her husband work. My husband and I are so far behind, were on shut off and reposession notices for everything, I take my daughter to my moms for days at a time just so I dont have to feed her and she doesnt have to see that mom and dad not eating either. Now why is it that youre a citizen, working, actally who own something and try to do the best cant get any help but people who sit on their ass and have kid after kid can get everything under the sun???? I applied anyways and got a letter that I was denied because i didnt meet criteria. Im pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• The government is screwed up!
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 8:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• im with you on that one.
    i had to lie so that i could get food stamps.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• i was approved for food stamps before i was married so it was based on only my income. I am still on them and have never been asked if my marital status has changed. Since u have already applied, it may be difficult to re apply and get approved. gl
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 8:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• If you are $100 over then there's not much to do about it. It's straight income....whether you own a home or not. I think some people just know how to work the system.
    Anonymous

• years ago hubby and I applied and he made 100.00 over too.....I was told to have a baby and go buy a new car....WTF oh and then reapply......something seriously wrong with the system.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 9:01 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• oh and were both white too.....
    michaux

• Im sorry Hun.. I know just what you are talking about and its bull.. I know a few people like this and it just pisses me off
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 9:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• i own my own house and car and i am white and i get food stamps and medicaid, the best thing to do is to apply because each individual situation is different .
    bekkaboo89

Answer by bekkaboo89 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• 2 words hunny: affirmative action, aka reverse racism.
    SamKJones

Answer by SamKJones at 10:25 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• wow, I would do everything to fight that!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:13 AM on Dec. 2, 2010