I am 10 weeks pregnant but my ultrasound shows I am only 5 weeks??

I went to my doctor yesterday (Nov. 30th) and had an ultrasound done because I was having some unusual sharp pain. I have not had cramping, bleeding or any symptoms of a miscarriage. in the ultrasound the nurse said that there is only an empty sac and no yolk sac, heart beat etc.... and that it was only about a 5 week ultrasound. My doctor said that I either miscalculated how far along I am or the baby stopped developing at 5 weeks. I go in on monday to get another ultrasound and see if there is any growth, if there isn't I will more than likely have to get a d&c which I am nervous about. This is my first possible miscarriage, however I have had an ectopic pregnancy back in feb. 2008 which I had a laproscopy done to remove that. I am wondering if anyone has ever had this happen to them and if i have any chance of having a normal pregnancy or if it is doomed to fail. I have had two other successful pregnancy's but we are hoping for a third child. I am only 21 and my husband and I are nervous about what a potential d&c could do to my fertility if it comes to that. ( I also had a positive pg test on oct. 31st so I don't think I miscalculated my weeks) ...PLEASE HELP!

water_mommy16

Asked by water_mommy16 at 8:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• well, sorry to hear that hun. hopefully the second ultrasound will show everything is fine. but to answer your question about a d&c and fertility....my sister had one done and she had another baby after that. it didn't really take longer than normal for them to concieve. i wish you the best of luck and hope that the baby is fine.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• You may have miscalculated but honestly sweetie it would be pretty hard to miscalculate 5 weeks!

Hopefully there is growth on Monday but if not I would say that you should either let the baby naturally miscarry or have a D&C.
    Anonymous

• I had a similar experience with my third pregnancy. I had an ultrasound at nine weeks and baby was only size of six weeks with no heartbeat. That was on a Monday and I had a D&C on Friday that same week. I also had no symptoms - no cramping, no spotting, no bleeding..... This was in the month of April. I then conceived my daughter during August of that same year and her pregnancy was normal. I am now pregnant with my fourth child (fifth pregnancy) and I am 13 weeks. I had an ultrasound yesterday and all is good. I understand how you feel but it should not affect your ability to have more children. Keep you chin up and lot's of luck to you.
    LillyMommy

Answer by LillyMommy at 8:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Thank You to all...it's nice to know your not the only one in the world who has gone through this.....
    water_mommy16

Comment by water_mommy16 (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I'm sorry you're going through this, I had this back in March, empty sac measuring 5 weeks and unfortunately it had gone, also my first miscarriage. But obviously, the reason they asked you back is to double check so there might be a chance everything is ok. As far as the d&c affecting fertility, I had that and conceived roughly 3 weeks after and am now almost term with a healthy baby boy! Wishing you all the best tho hun.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 7:00 AM on Dec. 2, 2010