Okay, does this make sense to anyone?

Both Doctors and Dentists will tell you never give a child who can't spit toothpaste with fluoride in it because fluoride is a toxin... Then those same Doctors & Dentists will hand you a prescription for FLUORIDE... So, it's toxic if swallowed in a low dose when in Toothpaste, but liquid form is totally fine?

Is it me or does that make the kind of sense that just doesn't?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• There's a lot of things in this world that dont make sense, that's for sure. Did you question the Dr./Dentist about the safety of it? I know if you get city water, that it's treated w/ flouride. If you dont feel comfortable giving it to your child, then dont. I'm a firm believer in following your mommy instincts!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:25 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I wish theyd fluoridate my drinking water I want to be toxic
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My Doctor didn't recommend it and knows I wouldn't be okay with it even if she did. But it came up in conversation with another mommy... Our water here is not fluoridated and I filter everything my kids drink anyways. But I was thinking about this... I use a fluoride free toothpaste for everyone in the house, child or adult, simply because it's healthier. I guess it just didn't make any sense that the general rule of thumb is don't give a child toothpaste with fluoride because it can really make them sick, and then they turn around and give you a prescription for it... Talk about mixed signals?!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:46 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Minneapolis had flouride in the water when I was a kid. I have only a few cavities. My DH lived in a small town where they didn't put flouride in the water. He and his family had horrible decayed teeth even tho they brushed daily. Flouride is a good thing.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• All municipalities have fluoride added to the water. Not to mention other toxins
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:46 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i would never give my kids flouride... we don't drink anything but RO water. i try my hardest to avoid flouride myself!
    asil

Answer by asil at 1:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• There has been a lot of speculation that the reason that they have decided to flourinate a lot of water is due to the fact that is a byproduct (of something, can't remember what) that they want to get rid of. Or, there's the whole... 'conspiracy' thing. In the end the fact that you aren't supposed to swallow a pea sized amount of toothpaste is a huge red flag to me. Especially when they assure you that its in small enough doses to not make a difference. 1) If it's in the water supply you are totally immersed in it. you bath in it, wash your dishes and laundry in it. You drink it. your food is cooked in it and is grown off of it. Etc. Etc. You cannot tell me that over a LIFETIME that that amount of exposure doesn't matter and 2) If it's not a big enough amount to worry about- why the hell are they putting it in there ANYWAY??

I dunno... I don't like it.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 11:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• The level of toothpaste is higher than the one ingested from the prescription. I asked the same question and this is the answer I got.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 4:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I'd do some reading on it.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:26 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I never really thought it made sense.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2010