At what age does children realise the truth about Santa?

What age should I be ready for the truth to come out? GULP! I love the joy my children get from Santa, Easter bunny and all the other fun characters that make events exciting for the children!

jem102675

Asked by jem102675 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Holidays

• my kids would ask about Santa when they where around 6-8 and I just told them that I have never seen him, but I believe. And you tell them that the Santa's at the mall are his helpers and we parents are also Santa's helpers. I still joke to my adults kids that I believe in Santa!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 8:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Depends on kid. I found out from kids in school. But my mom assured me by saying, "There will always be a Santa as long as you believe in love and love your family and friends." That helped me get past the sad time of finding out the truth.
    momofzachjassop

Answer by momofzachjassop at 9:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• OH...NO...not another dreaded Santa post! Calgon take me away....
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 8:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I have never known anyone to keep it up past 5 or 6, but most people I know don't do the Santa thing...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• basically whenever their friends tell them lol. i was a little different though....i was like 8 when i realized that santa wrote just like my mom.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• That would depend on the child. For most children, if they haven't figured it out on their own, elementary school pretty much takes care of that.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• We have an 8 yr old, a she will be 5 on Christmas, and a 2 yr old! I was just wondering about when our 8 yr old will be wondering!!!!
    jem102675

Comment by jem102675 (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• by the time the child is in first grade the other kids in the class have summed that up for them. I think the question is how long do kids let you think that they still believe in santa..
    MoylanMommie2

Answer by MoylanMommie2 at 8:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Personally, I'll wait until my son figures it out on his own. That's what my parents did. I'm not sure what age I was, but I know I started doubting it for a while before I straight out asked my parents if he was real. Actually, I asked my dad. I remember saying, "Dad, is the Easter Bunny really real?", and he said, "What do you think? Do you think a big bunny hops around leaving candy in baskets?". LOL! I started laughing and said that no, I didn't, and he was like, "Well, there's your answer...but don't tell your brother". :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• It really depends on the family too. I don't like doing the Santa thing, my ex does. I have told my son Santa does not come to mommy's house only daddys. I will explain further as he gets older. He told a classmate that today and said o.k., then you better be good so he'll go to your dad's house.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 9:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2010