Do you consider the President very very "URBAN"?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/30/republican-calls-obama-ve_n_789723.html

Is this apprioate on the house floor?

What do YOU think he was TRYING to say?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/urban

Definition of "Urban".
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 8:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Urban, as in "of the city; not rural". How is that an insult. PBO is urban. So, sue him. (PBO is mean.)
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• jesse put into context..what was King saying?

and was is apprioate?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• He's probably using 'urban' as a euphemism for black. I'm not sure why people do that, but I hear it all the time. Some say it's really a new euphemism for the n-word. Maybe he meant 'city' vs 'rural', but somehow I doubt it.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:48 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

•  

He's probably using 'urban' as a euphemism for black. I'm not sure why people do that, but I hear it all the time. Some say it's really a new euphemism for the n-word. Maybe he meant 'city' vs 'rural', but somehow I doubt it.

Between the WAY he said it and what he was eluding too...(Barack Obama helping BLACK farmers..etc..) I think its safe to say you are correct

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• that he's from the city, not from a rural area...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 8:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• context is key

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Context is definitely the key. I've heard it used in ways that seemed derogatory, but I've also heard it used in ways that were meant to be inclusive in some way. For example, if they were talking about 'urban music', that would have a different connotation than calling someone 'urban' IMO.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I don't even know what that means in context to Obama, other than he is from the city. Although, he grew up in Hawaii didn't he? So I don't know that I would consider him 'urban'. I would consider someone that grew up in the city as urban. I don't consider race as urban or not. I won't bother speculating what intentions someone else had about Obama.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2010