Does your kids school do this?

This year the school had decided to try to show the kids the meaning of the season this year. Each grade is doing something different to help out the community. My 5 yr old's class is raising Pennies for Pets (all money is being donated to the humane society). My 6 yr old's class is collecting gum for the troops, and my 12 yr old's class is making homemade cards for the nursing homes in town. I think it's really sweet and I was just wondering if any other schools are doing this.

Juggalette0327

Asked by Juggalette0327 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Holidays

• Yes, my school and my son's do various community service projects throughout the year. Right now his school is doing a toy drive and my school is collecting baby items for a women's shelter in our community.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Ours is doing a sock drive. The goal is 10,000 pairs of socks for needy kids

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:42 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• our school does a food drive
    and they do this baby item thing for the shelter in our town its a mother child shelter
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 8:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• The kids can wear their pajamas on the last day before Christmas break if they bring a non-perishable food item for the food drive. My kids school does some stuff like that, but we have kind of a mixed school - my kids go to the french immersion track and there is also an english track that has a lot of immigrant and Native families, inner city, dysfunctional family, quite poor kids ... so we don't do a lot of that sort of thing. A lot of the kids who attend their school are the ones to benefit from the donations, not the ones doing the donating.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My one kid has to donate any $ amount to Ronald Mcdonald House. Other kid is to donate items to personal care for nursing home.
    momofzachjassop

Answer by momofzachjassop at 9:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• our school does the "Tab for Ronald McDonald house"
    collect gently used toys for the community
    food drives
    Pj collection
    and shop with a Hero
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Oh man, that is awesome! I hope that when my daughter is old enough for those classes they do something like that!
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I think it's a wonderful idea. Our school does a food drive and we sponsor a child from the Angel Tree at church.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My sons school does a few different things, they collect toiletry items for the homelss and they do a giving tree and the items go to families in our school.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 4:00 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• wow those are really great things to do. Nothing like that when mine were in school.
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 10:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2010