Is something wrong with my son?

My 27 month old son wants nothing to do with me. From changing him to reading him stories, to cleaning and taking out the trash, he wants my boyfriend (his dad) to do it, and when I try to, he throws tantrums to the point of injuring himself. Now, he won't eat and as of 2 nights ago, will ot sleep. He just screamed for 3 hours - to the point that his dad ecided to take him to the ER. Luckilly, he fell asleep on his dad's lap before we got out the door. We realized the crib was useless last night and tonight we put a new fun big boy bed in his room..he threw the biggest fit I'd ever seen. We are at a lost. I can't stop crying or shake the feeling that something is wrong. Between this and the way he is in cerain situations, I feel like he isn't a normal toddler. When is it time to call the doctor?
Our lives have become a prison, and the way he has been behaving is tearing our family apart at the seams. Any advice, shared experiences or resources would be GREATLY appreciated. (to illustrate a point, I am typing this on a smartphone because he will scream if he hears or sees me.) I'm not a monster, and he is a good kid. What is wrong?

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 8:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I guess, yes, call the dr. Now, is his real dad in the picture? Or is the boyfriend his only father figure? How new is the boyfriend, did he recently move in or begin spending a lot of time and nights there? There isn't enough info here to get a good answer, and a dr will be better help than CM too. So you can spend the time needed getting into how he is acting in other certain situations. Hope that helped a little!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• it may just be a phase he is going through hopefully he will get outta it soon
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 8:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I dont know how much a pediatrician can tell you- but maybe a behavior specialist could help. They may be able to do some testing. I hope everything works out for you.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• That does sound like a really frustrating and depressing situation for you. I think you should have a talk with his pediatrician and you can also take him to a pediatric therapy center for a free screening. I think you should look into this, it might simply be toddler tantrums, which are pretty common, but if it is something else that needs attention you will not regret finding out about everything sooner than later. I hope everything is okay, you should be able to feel better soon!
    Good luck!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 8:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• sometimes mothers intuition knows. it doesnt hurt to call the doc. make a list of all the behaviors that concern you, dates and any incidnets you want to discuss. good luck, hope everything is ok
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 8:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• His dad and I have been together for years, we're just not married- that is the boyfriend I speak of, and he's been in the picture from day 1, as have I. There are a couple of things we just were loking for suggestions or advice on: How did your child react to a big boy bed? Has anyone else dealt with a child who hated their mother (under the age of 13 of course). How do I turn around some of these behaviors? I plan to call the doctor tomorrow, but tonigt has been incredibly rough. Apologies for the grammatical errors, working with a mini screen on a mini phone.
    sweetphoenix529

Comment by sweetphoenix529 (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• It may be his way of practicing power? Do you give in to his horrific tantrums? (not that I dont understand why, its wearing) but maybe take the approach of ignoring his behavior(after talking to a doctor of course). I have a strong willed child and I have found ignoring her tantrums sometimes defuses them, she used those tantrums to get her way until she discovered I didnt mind them as much as she would like. good luck I know how frustrating this can be. and BTW you arent doing anything to make him "not love you"
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 8:57 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Thanks ya'll, btw.
    sweetphoenix529

Comment by sweetphoenix529 (original poster) at 8:57 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Hun he doesnt hate you, keep your head up and stick to whatever you choose I think consitensy is key. It breaks my heart to hear you say he hates you:( no child hates their mom hes just frustrated and taking it out on you cuz he knows he can trust you!
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I have a 2 1/2 yr old who hates me as well, she wants her father for everything. It drives me nuts, I cry because I feel like a horrible mom.. I have a doctors appointment scheduled for her tomorrow, I have no clue why, or whats going on but she wasnt like this until a few months ago. Im sorry for what your going threw, your not alone. I hope things work out for your family.
    RobertsMama7935

Answer by RobertsMama7935 at 4:45 AM on Dec. 2, 2010