Did you know today was the anniversary of.....

Today marks the 55th anniversary of the day Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on the #2857 bus in Alabama.

On December 1, 1955, during a time of racial segregation, Parks sat at the front of the black section of the bus, when all the seats in the front were taken the bus driver asked Parks to give up her seat so a white passenger could sit down.

She refused and was arrested, five days later boycotts on the bus system lead by Martin Luther King, Jr. lasted 381 days.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• good for Rosa! She was a brave woman. We all need to be brave at times----
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Yes, I knew that. Good for her!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Yes, I knew!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Yes I did know that
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• How many talked about this with their kids?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I didn't know, thanks for the heads up! I did not talk about this with my kids...haven't gotten around to explaining racism to my 5 and 2yo yet. I don't think they would understand.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

•  didn't know, thanks for the heads up! I did not talk about this with my kids...haven't gotten around to explaining racism to my 5 and 2yo yet. I don't think they would understand.

I had some serious conversations with my daughter when she was 4, 5 and 6 (brought up by other kids)....it is heartbreaking to see some innocence lost,,,,and now, she's 9 and they are doing presentations in school about Ruby Bridges and Rosa Parks..

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Yes I did know but I did not discuss it with my children because they are 3 and 1. To them people are just people. I would like to keep it that way as long as possible.

I do think that Rosa Parks was a brave women and I admire her.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 10:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Back then black people had to set in the back of buses, that is where the fumes came in. The front was reserved for whites only. Rosa Parks set in the front when a white person wanted her seat she was ordered to the back of the bus. She refused and was arrested.  That started the Montgomery bus boycott, and it is what got Martin L King his start in the Civil Rights Movement.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2010