Does anyone here crochet?

If so, how long does it usually take you to crochet a full-sized afghan?I recently learned how, and I made a small blanket for my son, and it took me about a week. However, I'm not making a full-sized one and it's taking me forever, it feels like, lol. It's variegated Christmas colors, so I'd like it to be done before Christmas, lol.

Also, have you ever crocheted anything other than afghans?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 8:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I'm now making a full-sized one*
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 8:57 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Yes, I've made several things. I'm currently completing an afghan for my daughter's bed, for a Christmas gift. The amount of time it takes varies according to your speed, your skill, the stitches you're using, and the complexity of the pattern.
    Hope you get it done ... make some delicious hot cocoa and settle in to crochet at night after the kids are in bed! Merry Christmas!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• If you want to make one fast, try using a Q hook. The bigger the stitch, the faster it goes!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 8:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Well, it's partly the fact that I don't even work on it every day. Also, I'm a little impatient, lol. I'm actually surprised I've stuck with it at all. I guess becoming a mother required me to learn more patience. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 9:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• The bigger the stitch the faster its made but it also depends on how much time you dedicate to it.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 9:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• It takes time and patience. But the end results can be wonderful. I've made tons of afghans and am making different scarves for gifts. I'm an addict!
    booksandhooks

Answer by booksandhooks at 8:03 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It depends on the pattern and how much time you can dedicate to crocheting each day, but a week for a small blanket isn't too long, I don't think. I've made afghans, booties, a queen-sized 'blanket' for my mother, wall-hangings and I even undertook the stressful project of crocheting my own wedding dress out of #30 doily thread (my mother and I both worked on it, and it still took us a whole year!). Using a bigger needle and a looser pattern would speed up your afghan, but I wouldn't worry about it as long as you're enjoying yourself!
    VanBurren

Answer by VanBurren at 8:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• i've crocheted toys mostly. and scarves. crochetpatterncentral.com is great for patterns
    devtdbosombuddy

Answer by devtdbosombuddy at 11:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2010