Am I the only one that is dreading the Christmas "family" get together?

I just wish that I could skip it. I like seeing my mom, but everyone else and the drama and the fake friendliness it brings I could really do without. If the people don't care about each other during the year don't pretend to on Christmas (I am guilty of this too)

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Holidays

• No, you're not the only one. For different reasons, I'm sure, but I'm there with you too.
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 9:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• You are definitely not alone. I am dreading it too. I wish we can just fly out to Hawaii (or any tropical island with a nice beach), just me, hubby and the kids. No extended family of any kind...This is what I tell myself, I am doing this for the kids, a tradition, they may not remember the specifics, but they'll remember the feeling, everyone getting together/celebrating...etc. IF all fail, get yourself a glass (or 2 or 3) of wine, everything will seem much more amusing.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Why be a martyr? Just don't go.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• well if you dont want to see your family only your mom just invite your mom & be honest & say you had other plans to your family that you dont want to see they will understand i know it hard cause it is the holidays but you can choose who to see on the holidays
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 3:58 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I always look forward to it.

Answer by older at 9:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• For a holiday I love so much it is getting more difficult to have every year. I try to be happy go lucky person but they are all dragging me down so It's not just you.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Yes, I even have to be stuck in a condo with my dh's family for the week of New Year's. I like the vacation part, just not with his family. Lol
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Depends on which gathering we're talking about.:) I can't wait to see my mom and stepdad. My son and I will be in our new place so I won't have to sleep at my mom's house with my son kicking me all night, or having to drive in blinding snow to where ever I decide to stay for this year. I will have only a 15 minute drive down the road now. On the other hand I want nothing to do with my paternal side and have decided not to attend. My dad passed away two years ago and we lost my Gram in June. My uncle has not attended a family gathering in over two years. This year he has decided to have one, but it has to be when it is convient for him, the end of January. I will see my brother and his family at mom's house and that is all I need. I cannot wait.:) I will also see all of them this coming Monday at my niece's choir concert, I am so excited.:)
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 9:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I'm dreading cleaning my house at 38weeks preggo with a 2 year old cause Xmas is at our house (we're the only ones with enough room and we'll be nearer the hospital)
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 9:34 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• You are SO not alone! I hate to say it, but my soon to be SIL's children get on my nerves SSOOOOO badly. I find them annoying and spoiled and I don't want my daughter to pick up on their habits!
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2010