When should I worry about high normal blood sugar level in 8 y.o. DS?

A few weeks ago, my DS (age 8) had a urination accident at school. It has never happened before. I started thinking about it & realized that he had been drinking a lot more than normal (hence, using the bathroom all the time). He is also hungry all the time but is thin & has not gained weight lately. I checked his blood sugar & he was at 172 (2 hours post dinner). I've checked him on & off since & he is all over the place. He has had a fasting high of 179 & a fasting low of 92. His fasting average is around 107. I also had one experience where I tested him one afternoon & he was at 95, then 15 minutes later, he got really cranky & tested at 130. His doctor doesn't seem to be worried. When I took him in, she only glanced at the numbers I had brought & based everything on the fact that he tested at 92 in the office (never mind the fact that he tested at 120 when we first walked in the door).

Am I paranoid? Should I take him to another doctor? Are these numbers normal & I'm just reading the wrong literature? My son eats a balanced, healthy diet & is not overweight. Any help would be appreciated.

SaraBeth1204

Asked by SaraBeth1204 at 9:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My son sees an endocrinologist and the doctor's "gold standard" for determining if a child's sugar levels are too high is the A1C test. My son's is borderline high & he is considered to have metabolic syndrome (he is not obese or even overweight, it is because of his mito) and we watch his diet carefully because we don't want it to turn into Diabetes. If you are concerned about your son, take him to a pediatric endocrinologist and let them test. They can do the A1C right in the office.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Being paranoid about diabetes is a good idea.

Untreated diabetes does nerve damage that harms hearts, kidneys, central nervous systems and risks amputation, kidney failure and heart disease.

It is theorized that juvenile (type 1) diabetes is caused by viruses that damage the pancreas... it's only type 2 (adult onset) that is treatable (or caused) by lifestyle. When the pancreas shuts down, very bad things can happen, and in children it can happen quickly.

Get him to a doctor.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• the test you need is called the GTT it stands for the glucose tolerance test it is the ONLY diagnostic test for diabetes esp type 1 diabetes

you should not be doing what youre doing in regard to testing him at home unless you have been trained to know and understand glucose & metabolism
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Take him to a different dr. He should have his A1C check. GTT is outdated & often inaccurate. A1C testing is now the gold standard test. Diabetes is nothing to pussyfoot around with.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:44 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i'm not at all sure what blood sugar levels should be for a kiddo...
    asil

Answer by asil at 1:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• i honestly dont think you have anything to worry about right now. you are his mom though and if you think you should get a second opinion then please do! i do not know your son. you are right in knowing that frequent urination and excesive thirst are signs of diabetes. however your sons blood sugars are not far out of range to be concerned on that issue. he may have another issue going on. when my son was Dx diabetic his blood sugar was 587. most time when a child is low is when they will get cranky. once my son starts getting to 100 he starts getting whiny. our doc has set his goal blood sugar to be between 140-200. if you have any questions please feel free to send me a message.
    aschwarz06

Answer by aschwarz06 at 12:21 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• If you aren't comfortable with your dr.s opinion definatly get a second one.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Yeah I would be watching him closely.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 2:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• If you feel like things are not adding up, I would definitely get another opinion.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• get a second opinion
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:40 AM on Dec. 14, 2010