Why does my 3 1/2 year old get so upset when people laugh?

She will be fine in a group setting if people are laughing but at soon as say for instance she does something cute and someone laughs at it she get so upset starts crying and says she laughed at me. I just do not get it. The doctor says it is so normal at this age and it is a developmental thing but I feel so bad when people come over becuase they feel like they cannot even laugh or she will get upset. Any answers for me would greatly help and make me feel better.

JessicaGero

Asked by JessicaGero at 9:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She's being cute. She's 3. It's fine and it's just fine if she gets upset, let her.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 11:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My son just when thru that same thing. I would tell him that it's ok mommy just thinks he is being cute or funny and that it is ok to laugh. I would also tell him he is being silly and we laugh at silly not cry at it. But if he started yelling and crying I told him to dry it up mommy can laugh at her silly boy if she wants too. But don't worry it really didn't last that long with my son only a few months. Hang in there and just keep doing what you are doing --- laughing at the funny stuff
    Momamyamy

Answer by Momamyamy at 2:05 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• This is a developmental thing. All children learn shame, and embarassment, even if it seems meladramatic. This too will pass I promise.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• My son has been doing something similar for a few months. He covers his ears and tells us to stop whenever anyone laughs when it is related to something he has done or said. I think it is just the age (he just turned 4)
    Groovyflor1

Answer by Groovyflor1 at 3:52 PM on Dec. 3, 2010