what do you think of children having soda? why?

I drink alot of soda and i like straws (its easier on your teeth) and my 1 yr old loves drinking with straws too. she sees my soda and snags a drink. could this be harmful to her health??

gusgus_mom

Asked by gusgus_mom at 9:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Food & Drink

• My dd does the same thing. I talked to my pediatrician about it a month ago and she said if dd isn't always drinking it its totally fine if she has some every now and then.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 9:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Im not big on giving kids a lot of chemicals or sugary foods so I wouldnt be ok with that.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Soda has no nutritional value, and loads of sugar, which cannot be good for anyone much less a growing child.

Answer by older at 9:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My kids don't get it except on rare occasions that we go out to eat, and they get a Sprite.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 9:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• You are mistaken about the straws.

One of the reasons pop is hard on teeth is because of the phosphorus which leaches calcium from bones and teeth. The sugar in your body is bad for your teeth, and all of it depletes B vitamins... which is made worse by caffeinated drinks. It's extremely hard on your kidneys, and it displaces the real food your body needs, all while making you thirstier.

It's not food --and in a small child, even a few tablespoons a day will take the place of food with nutrients. As Covert Bailey points out: if you're going to eat Twinkies, you better eat a truckload, because there is no other way to get what your body needs.

Children who drink juice regularly end up shorter than they should be, because it is sugar-only, and it displaces actual food needed for growth. Pop doesn't even have the 4% of vitamin C that a child needs... it has nothing to offer for taking the place of nutrition.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2010